HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gary Kessler

Re: short fiction

The last published short story I was paid for was 3.5 cents/word. The one before that was 5.3 cents/word. Just to give you an idea.

stevenlabree τΏτ

My last two published short stories paid me about 10 cent/word.

A.J. Fisk

Wow, thanks for the insights.

I've been checking out Duotrope and it seems fairly interesting (similar to Writer's Market--just without the subscription). However, my main interest is in short story compilations. Though I've written and just (about) finished editing a longer work (20,000 words), I am interested in compiling several other stories and bringing them together in some printable format. As far as novels go, I think I have it in me to write one (possibly two) but my main love is short stories. They have a certain magic about them that you can't find on a magazine rack or in a 600 page novel.

To get to the point, I guess I love the idea of being able to write (and publish) short stories in between longer works. A means by which less traditional stories can be shared with the world. It is not necessarily about the money (though it would be nice to be paid for the effort) but also about having work that may not meet mainstream guidelines introduced to mainstream audiences. This does not mean that it runs counter to popular genres but mostly focusing on 'popular' lengths. I know that there are more people out there that feel the same as I do, ones that would be more than interested in buying a $5 magazine with intelligent stories rather than $9 skin-and-gossip mags.

Then again, as I said before, I could just be pining for a lost way of life.

-Adam

Gary Kessler

Adam: Recently went through this with someone (with good writing credentials) wanting to publish a short story collection. It was only when he write in a common thread holding the whole collection together that he was able to find a publisher. You might find that you need to have a good publishing history already to be able to sell a short story collection otherwise.

Kathy Loop

Where did you get paid so many cents per word in these short stories? I'm writing short stories and wondered how you're getting paid for these? Magazine, if so,which ones? Is that giving them the copyright/ownership of the stories?

Gary Kessler

I didn't. I was paid a flat fee. To get the per-word pay, I divided the number of words into the flat fee.

My last two were for contest-based anthologies.

stevenlabree τΏτ

Mine were sports magazines (fishing). I still own the rights.

Gary Kessler

Oh, I forgot to respond to the "rights" issue. As is usual for magazines/journals, for the two I mentioned, I gave up the first publication rights (naturally--but neither would have published without first publication rights). Both were under nonexclusive publication rights, though, so I can publish them anywhere else I want that doesn't demand first publication right.