HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Joe Zeff

Re: # of Short Stories in a Book?

Kathy, if you feel you need to pad out what you have to a more "respectable" word count, consider adding introductions, afterwords, author's comments or something of that sort to get the count where you want it. Done properly, it adds to the value, instead of subtracting from it as actual padding would.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Cathy C, I don't differ with you that it does (as they say) happen. However, Thersa Matsuura is here working in fantasy as (for lack of a better term) an ethnic author. Unless both factors are similar, it's difficult to draw comparison. (Also, I note that almost all reviews of the book seem to parrot one of two root reviews.)

Kathy, unless you're going the self-pub route, almost all story collections are built from previously published stories.

Yes, there are exceptions -- like that your mentor has a Pulitzer or that you've just completed a prestigious MFA.

If you don't have anything on that level, then you had better be sending your completed stories out to the magazines.

The number of stories varies widely. Asimov edited a few collections that had 50 or 100. I've seen as few as six. If the publisher wants a long book, or if you're offering to put out a thematic collection, there's scads of leeway.

Rogue Mutt

I did a volume of my short stories. There are 18 of varying lengths for 184 pages total.

<http://roguemutt.bravehost.com/carnival.html>

Kathy Loop

Thank you for all the help! More than likely, it'll be self-published b/c writing is more of a side career for me. Thanks everyone! Rogue, I will check out the carnival book!

marta cajiao

Having trouble knowing what to write about? Read Newspapers and tabloids,talk to friends/easvesdrop of conversations.tap into your subconscious.What frightens you? Think--dog bites man,man bites dog back. Here's something: Two twin brothers take turns at breathing through one set of lungs. The story ideas are out there and all you have to do is look for them--the possibilities are endless...

Kathy Loop

Thank you Marta! I did a story Friday, posted a sample of it regarding the poems in it and being spoken by a character. I know they're out there I just can't catch them! HA. HA.