HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Kathy Loop

# of Short Stories in a Book?

I am writing several short stories and they are almost all around 12-15 pages. How many should I have published in a book? Is there an average number that most of them contain?

Rogue Mutt

Re: # of Short Stories in a Book?

Are you publishing the book yourself? I doubt any real publisher is going to want a bunch of short stories from someone they've never heard of. So if you are doing it yourself, then just decide how many pages you want to pay for and go from there.

Patrick Edwards

I would say that if you have a roundabout number in your head of what a novel would contain (words or pages), then keep it the same. Though I'm pretty sure you know you don't have to stick with it.

Cathy C

I doubt any real publisher is going to want a bunch of short stories from someone they've never heard of.

Not quite true. Here's a short story collection from a debut author I know on another writing site that just got a stellar review by PW. FWIW, there were 17 stories in the collection.

<http://www.amazon.com/Robe-Feathers-Other-Stories/dp/1582434891/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230698666&sr= 8-1>

stevenlabri τΏτ

Yup.

I have learned, never say never in this business.

Kathy Loop

Thank you for the help. I have a short term goal of finishing 10 by the end of this month. Being a newlywed I've been busy getting time to write lately. I'm half way to my goal. I plan on writing all that I want in the book and then editing them all.

My novel gave me such a editing headache I'm taking a long break from it. I can't afford a professional editor. Anyway, thank you for all the help, advice, and for the link to the story collection! I may have to check that out!

Jeanne Gassman

Kathy,

Most competitions for short story collections require 150-250 pages of fiction. For a manuscript in standard format, figure approximately 250 words per page. That means you should have a minimum of 38,000 words to make a collection a viable book length.

Duotrope and Poets & Writers both list competitions for short story collections. You might want to check them out:

<http://www.duotrope.com>

<http://www.pw.org>

Good luck.

Jeanne

Kathy Loop

Thanks Jeanne!

Patrick Edwards

Yeah, Jeanne sounds like she knows what she's talking about, so I rescind my offer above.

Kathy Loop

Thanks for all of the help! I need to finish writing these stories. I have problems knowing what to write about.