HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Jean Bonifacios

Re: Newbie question about obscenities

Let me also add...don't give your manuscript that has some sex and foul language in it to a neighbor who is a Mormon either. Doh! She hasn't looked me in the eye since!

Keith .

After reading that manuscript, I wouldn't be looking at your eyes either, Jean!

dan z

"You read to God?" I gotta admit, Mutt, you surprise me with your instances of unsophisticated humor. Ha ha ha, it truly made me laugh.

Jean Bonifacios

Oh Keith, you've just made me blush!

dan z

Keith, you forgot to add the mischievous wink... you subtle devil. )

John Oberon

Mutt,

Sure I read to God. I ask Him to guide me in the language most pleasing to Him, then I read. If I feel within me the slightest twinge or doubt about anything I read, I change it. Sometimes, I can see the problem, and other times, I can't, but I change it regardless.

Rogue Mutt

It's just sad that someone can be so close-minded that if they feel a "twinge" from an imaginary force they just shut down.

John Oberon

Where did I say that I "just shut down"? I don't shut down; I act. I use my mind and emotions to try to please Him. He gives me reason and purpose in this life. The only time I recall getting close to "shutting down" was when I pursued life without God, and I found little hope or light in my life. He's hardly imaginary.

C.S. Lewis once said that during our lives we have the opportunity now to say to God, "Thy will be done", and live with Him forever after we die. Or else, after we die, God will say to us, "Thy will be done", and send us away from Him forever. Perhaps to you, eternity with God is not a thing to seek, but to me, if it is possible, then I want it, and I'm willing to pay any price to have it. God says, "I gave all for you, now you give all for Me." It's a reasonable exchange, my sinful life for His everlasting life. In fact, most of the time, I feel as if I'm cheating Him, the deal is so lopsided, lol.

The Bible is the only place I've found that gives me solid answers from a loving God. HE addresses my inadequacy. HE pays for my sin. HE gives me hope and allays my fears.

If you're anything like me, Mutt. You've lived what most consider an average life...no spectacular success, no crushing failure...just your own humble little joys and sorrows, things everyone expects in life. But one day, you will hit a problem you cannot escape. Nobody can help you, no amount of reason, emotion, time, or money dents it. It just slowly, consistently, and mercilessly grinds you. You think you destroy it, but it returns stronger than ever, and it can possess you whenever it wants. It dominates you, and you finally realize and admit it. When that day comes, and it will...well, there are no atheists in foxholes. You'll either cry out for help as I did to a God Who promises help and hope and life, or you'll give yourself over to domination and death. I chose help and hope and life, and I have yet to regret the choice.

Rogue Mutt

If you had any sense you'd realize that voice in your head telling you to put the book down isn't God; it's the product of all that Church conditioning.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, but that kind of pomposity is too irresistible.

John Oberon

Put what book down? What are talking about? And I didn't mention any voices in my head. That's not the way God communicates to me. He "speaks" to my heart.

I don't know what you see as pomposity. I'm telling you that I reached the end of my rope. I couldn't deal with myself anymore. I was in a black hole with no way out and going deeper. My life was on the verge of shambles. I was a complete and utter failure, though outwardly, I'm sure I seemed quite successful. Tell me what's pompous about saying I was a wreck?

You're not fooling me or God, Mutt. There's an old saying: If you throw a brick into a pack of dogs, the one you hit is the one who howls the most.

You tell me who's more closed minded: the man who refuses to even consider the possibility of God, or the man who investigates it to try to discover where the evidence points?