HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Rogue Mutt

Re: hm?

I suppose it's not surprising someone with these kind of rigid beliefs wants to apply the same inflexible thinking to writing.

John Oberon

Well, Mutt, it's not MY rigid thinking, it's God's. I just decided to agree with God. Actually, that was one of the things that repulsed me about Christianity at first: the idea that there was only ONE way to get to heaven. I thought that was pretty darn bigoted, lol. But here was my reasoning: ALL the other world religions have the same basic idea. If you do whatever they define as "good", you'll get some kind of reward after death. You'll go to Nirvana or be reincarnated into a better earthly life or whatever. However, you never know if you've been good enough to get the reward because there are no external measures of the heart. There's always a doubt. Allah is one capricious God, lemme tellya, and Buddha wants to send me into nothingness.

Now Christianity is the only religion that says you CAN'T be good enough to get to heaven, and if you try, you'll end up in hell. God says "I'll GIVE you heaven if you just believe and follow my Son." So I thought I couldn't lose. Christianity doesn't ask me to do anything but essentially love God and my neighbor as best I can and believe Jesus effected my salvation on the cross. If I die and that's wrong, I lived a good, moral life and will most likely get rewarded by whatever god is real or go into oblivion or whatever. But if I die and it's right, I gain All.

So basically, it was a mercenary motive that initially goaded me, lol. I've since developed a little less selfish attitude about it, and God will yet mold me more, I'm sure. I've gained a great deal of peace and comfort by my faith that I did not expect.

Busy Lizzy

By the way, Rogue, how was your "surgical procedure"? Everything OK?

Rogue Mutt

I'm alive, aren't I?