HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Amber Autry

Why yalls advice isn't applied

Well, I was just wondering why you all would advice me to do this and do that, then I read a book by Nora Roberts, who has many books published, and has been on the best sellers list many times, has the ing verbs all in her book, she also has was, be, and all those other words I was told to cut out. So I want to know where do you all get your advice, because many books I have read go against everything you all are telling me.

leslee

Re: Why yalls advice isn't applied

You'll notice I never gave you any grief about the "ing" stuff. I don't think that's the problem with your writing. The problem with your writing is a basic lack of sentence structure, grammar and language use.

You can read the books of successful authors and compare yourself to them all day long, Amber. Lots of great writers use methods that don't fit into the "rules." But they are able to put sentences togeher in a way that you cannot.

It's like learning the basic musical scales before you start playing jazz. Once you know the basics, you can swing. Without it, you're just making noise.

Keith .

I suggest you re-read your posts. If they're too fresh in your mind, then go back and read your WritersNet profile. I think you're a long way from needing to worry about style. And before you say this is just a message board, a typo is a slip of the finger or an isolated misspelling. I've yet to see you string together a coherent paragraph. I think you should start at the beginning with basic grammar. My frank opinion. Luck.
    km

Busy Lizzy

We "alls" know about proper spelling or wrong spelling.

You won't find any spelling mistakes in Nora Roberts' books.

Not meaning to be brutal, just frank.

stevenlabri τΏτ

Not to be cruel or mean, however my only answer is the you are not Nora Roberts. When you become Nora Roberts, then you can do whatever you wish.

You want your writing to be strong and to the point. Using "ing" weakens writing, unless, of course, you know how to use it. The same for "had" or "was".

Place a sculpting knife in my hands and you will get bloody. Place the same knife is the hands of a sculptor, and you get art.

It works the same for the pen.

Rogue Mutt

You're patterning yourself after a hack romance/mystery writer? Really?

BTW, just because something's on the bestseller list doesn't mean it's quality. I'm sure Monica Lewinsky's tell-all book was on the bestseller list but it ain't exactly Proust.

Patrick Edwards

yeah, Amber, I think the thhing to remember is that if you're able to express in such a way that is appealing to the masses, then you can get away with things that the average writer (us) cannot. Nora, I'm pretty sure, understands the rules of the game, but she is just beyond listening to them. Now, if you wanna send out your stuff all willy-nilly against these rules, then go right ahead. But don't come back crying to board, talking about "I should've listened to you guys" and "You folks here are the most smartest and intelligentest--as well as funnest--human beings I have ever met" and "I will never betray our friendship and go outside of it without checking in for advice," among other statements.

Keith .

Yeah Mutt, I heard it really sucked ...

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Rogue Mutt

I'm so glad I could set you up for that one. High five!

stevenlabri τΏτ

"Monica Lewinsky's tell-all book was on the bestseller list "

I heard it blows.

Ba dunt bump!