HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Dave S

Re: Constructive Criticism

Wright:

Among the posters on this site are skilled writers who offer critiques on a regular basis. Unfortunately, if your writing doesn’t display a certain level of competency, the amount of constructive criticism you get will be limited, and yes, you may find your self on the receiving end of less than pleasant remarks.

What if I asked Tiger Wood’s coach to give me a golf lesson (for free)? He’d watch one swing, roll his eyes, maybe mutter a few choice words, and tell me go do something anatomically improbable.

That’s the way it is on Writers.Net.

Chris Redd’s excerpts were subjected to a barrage of scathing commentary that left him swearing he’d never post again. One WN member summed up his writing as follows: “You suck – deal with it.”

My advice for you? Work on your writing. Read novels, read books on fiction writing technique, and work on your writing. When you know its better, try posting again. This site is not kind to beginners, unless they are pretty darn good. You’ve got a ways to go.

Chris Redd

Dave

One WN member summed up his writing as follows: “You suck – deal with it.”

First, that was a critique of previous post, not a critique of future post. Your statement reads like a generalization. I never swore I would not post again. I simply stated I would be breaking. Second, that was Rouge mutt's opinion, I also received some other critiques. Third, that was uncalled for. Nobody asked you to respond about me. I said what other writers would have said. Judging by leslee's and CeCe's response, they obviously have said the same thing several times and didn't feel like restating the information.

Chris Redd

P.S

Dave: Are you restating what I said?

Clayton Lindemuth

Chris-- you need a liver cleanse. Learn to write, then help others. Until then, you'll draw fire where ever you go, and you'll feel like you have to respond. Then you end up hijacking threads and giving the original poster no value.

Take the time you save and read a couple writing books. Edit the living hell out of some text, and then ask one or two people to beta read it for you. I'll do it--but you've got to stop spouting so much bile. And don't bother defending yourself. If you want to argue, have the decency to send a private message, so Wright doesn't have to read any more crap like the messages that are by you or about you--half of the thread.

Clayton

Dave S

Hey Wright,

I'm sorry for not checking your profile before I posted. For a 14 year old, you have nothing to be ashamed of. I actually liked the feel of the conflict you presented. Keep on developing your skills – time is on your side!

Joe Zeff

Wright, I'm going to assume that you're writing about boys your own age. If so, your language is too formal, almost as though you're writing an essay for English Class. Loosen up a tad, be more causal, even use a little bit of slang if it's appropriate.

As an example: "The golden chain looked like the sun over his head as it increased in speed. The boys' mouths dropped, he couldn't have been planning to strike them." You've a good idea here, but the writing comes across as stiff.

"The gold chain liked like the sun over his head as it sped, faster and faster. The boy's mouths dropped; they couldn't believe he was going to hit them."

That's just off the top of my head; probably, if you think about it you can do even better. Try re-writing this to make it sound like you're telling a friend about it, and see the difference. I think you'll like it better.

Chris Redd

P.s

Joe:Good advice, but It's looked, not liked.

Sam English

Clayton,
    You have succeeded in posting the most pithy, succinct and articulate posts I've ever seen here. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

Rogue Mutt

One WN member summed up his writing as follows: “You suck – deal with it.”

No, that summed up YOUR writing, Redd. I guess your reading skills are just as poor as your writing skills.

Rogue Mutt

Oh wait, I see Redd was quoting someone else. You really need to format that so it stands out, like I do with italics. Or at least use quotes or something.