HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Brian W

Writing a thousands words a day is tough

I have spent the last week writing about 1-1.2k words a day. Some days the words come quickly; other days I struggled.

Any tips on being a more efficient writer?

Willis Wilburn

Re: Writing a thousands words a day is tough

I think it is only normal for things to pour out some days and only trickle the next. If you found everyday to be a replicate (quantity and quality), that would be abnormal. IMO.

Paul Harris

Yes, write your best and not your most. Writing is a craft not a sprint. There have probably been a number of writers who could churn out a thousand well-written words a day. Do you think that you're one of them or are you simply writing with the meter running?

I have weeks where I'm lucky if I write two hundred words because I keep writing and editing until I'm satisfied. That's my style, maybe the speed dating method of writing is yours but I doubt that it's efficient or proficient.

Chris Redd

Paul raised a very valid point. No matter how many words you write, they need to be well written words. Your editor is probably going to chop half of them anyways. Since you are in the writing mood, write, but make sure you go back and edit your writing. There is no reason to rush, let the story flow, and then worry the amount of words you write. You can spend all day writing a thousand words, but if they are unnecessary, they will end up in the pile. The best advice is to use as few words as possible in each sentence.

Brian W

I'm approaching the writing process like a job. While I enjoy the heck out of it, some days are better than others.

This is a first draft, so I'm not going to edit until I finish.

I had read online that Stephen King churns out 2 thousand words a day, and he persists through the process. I am only doing 1 thousand a day when I come home from work. Finding the time to do the writing is not difficult. The challenge is having to come up with new material every day.

I just wondered if folks had tips for making this easier.

Chris Redd

Brian, that rule was designed so that a writer will write something. Novels of over 100k words are finished one word at a time. You do the math. If you write 1000 words a day then it will only take you 100 days. Does that mean you can't write 3000 words a day? No it just means that you should set a goal for yourself. The more you write in a day the further you get. You don't have to slave a thousand words a day, just write.

Paul Harris

Tips for making this easier?

Yeah, don't compare yourself to Stephen King.

Chris Redd

Paul that is not fair. Even Steven King had to start somewhere. I am sure he received his fair share of rejection notices. Every great writer such as Steven King, John Gresham, or Anne Rice had to learn their craft. They had to learn just like everyone else.

Paul Harris

Chris

I've been very restrained about not responding to any of your recent, typically ill-informed posts, so please don't drag me out of my shell.

Steven King is one of the most prolific writers of this age. For a beginning writer to use his work methods as a benchmark is unrealistic. There's a reason why babies take baby steps.

You are, as usual, in over your head.

Chris Redd

Paul, I am just stating the truth. I am not saying Brian's writing is anywhere near Steven King, but I am saying that writing is a process. Steven King would agree. I apologize about my post. How can I format them?