HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jessica E

Which is better?

Hi - just a quick question to all. I have been writing for a while, off and on - never had anything published because I have never finished anything. What do you find is more important: writing, writing, writing and getting your story down on paper no matter how it looks, or reads, or writing with care and trying to find the right words and sentences as you go along. Just looking for everyone's opinion. Thanks!

Debbi Voisey

Re: Which is better?

IMHO getting the story written is the most important thing. You will edit over and over anyway, so why not get it down now and worry about the finer details later?

No point writing "with care" because your first draft will be rubbish anyway! ;-)

Good luck....

Debbi

Josh Brown

Well first you write it.

Then you revise.

And revise again.

And again.

And so on.

No such thing as a first draft that gets published. Some might be less rough than others, but worry about writing the darn thing first, then polish.

Keith .

never had anything published because I have never finished anything.

Funny on several levels.

leslee

Everyone does this their own way. There's no rule. But finishing something would be a nice change of pace for you, so try just writing straight through and then going back to edit.

jayce

What's been said. Don't edit your creativity.

Janice W-D

Keeping my editor locked in the closet while I write the first draft has always been hard for me. The better writer I've become, the more I believe there's no point in polishing what I may edit out later. It's an enormous waste of time.

Lewis R

I write with the flow method.

Let your imagination just go and get it on paper. Edit later. The second you keep stopping to edit, the flow of the story collapses. I have shocked myself with the stuff I have come out with by using this method.

Regards

Lewis.

Jessica E

Thanks for all of the advice. I always try to just let it go and write, but I find myself constantly stopping to fix a word or a sentence, and it really interrupts my flow.

Keith .

I begin every writing session by reviewing what I wrote last time. It gets the juices flowing, I get back on track where I left off and I edit as I review. This only takes about 15 minutes and accomplishes several tasks at once. Use whatever methods work best for you.
    km