HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: State of Mind

John Chritton

State of Mind

Okay, so I can all but guarantee that many of you on here have gone through the same thing I'm having a problem with now. I have almost no time to just sit down and write what I want to, thanks to school, work, and just about everything else in life. The main problem is that whenever I DO get a spare second to sit down, I can't bring up the "enlightened" mood that hits me basically whenever I can't do anything about it.

Have any of you found ways of getting this state of mind to reappear when you have time to encourage it? Or do you just have to hope that it happens when you have time to spare?

Butterfly Kisses

Re: State of Mind

Hey John:

I know what works for some may not work for others but, what I do is envision a blank screen, watch what my character's have played out thus far, and then watch where they're following actions take them.

It may sound silly but it works for me.

BK

Janice W-D

End a writing stint in the middle of a scene. Some authors of multiple books even stop in mid-sentence. Next time you sit down to write you won't have to create something completely new, just continue on with that scene that you know all the details on. By the time you finish the scene, your muse's motor will already be warmed up and ready to write about what happens next.

Good luck!

stevenlabri τΏτ

Hemingway said stop writing when you have something left to write.

I do, however, understand your point.

S Stull

Yup, know what you mean.

Don't stop off in the middle of a sentence (though halting mid-scene is sometimes a good idea) if you're forgetful. I've done that, then totally forgotten what I meant!

You can always just type... type... type... Whatever comes out, good or bad, can always be edited later.

Lyra

Anthony Ravenscroft

I start telling the story -- to myself (aloud or in my head), I start writing a letter describing it, I describe it to a friend -- & some detail pops up that pulls me back in. Or I start wondering either "what made this happen?" or "what will the near consequences of this be?"

Patrick Edwards

I agree with Janice W-D and S Stull about the stopping in the middle of the sentence. While it's good in theory, it can be uber-frustrating when you can't quite find that rhythm you had. That being said, if it were such a perfect lead-in to a beautiful path, maybe it wouldn't be forgotten. Who knows...

Also, perhaps you could re-type that last paragraph you worked on. Maybe it wasn't that last sentence that was the key to the future; maybe it was that entire paragraph (adn maybe not even the words, but the vibe).

Good luck with it. I've gone thru something like this as well (though mine was probably more out of laziness and not-gettin-to-it-ness) and it's not cool.