HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions

Rebecca Cole

Questions

Hello,
    I have some questions that have been buzzing through my mind for days.I thought I would take the time to ask them.
    1) Say you are working with Microsoft Word. One page on the computer screen is how many books pages? In say a size 11-12 garamond font.

2) How many words does a book of poetry need to be?

3) Is it okay to put in a book a picture of yourself though it may not show your face?

4) Is there any specific route I need to take in putting pictures (digitally taken) in a book.

5)Is it okay to draw up your own book cover ideas to present to publishers/agents?

A lot i know but I'm pulling together a lot of things.

Patrick Edwards

Re: Questions

In regards to #1, I'd say just rifle through a few books you have around the house. Just check to see how many they have on a page (count words in one line, multiply it by the total lines on page, get total, subtract a number for those lines that may end before end of line (dialogue, end of paragraph). And there you have it. (Note: Perhaps look for a book that you feel would suit your own particular style.)

Cathy C

Re: Questions

1) Say you are working with Microsoft Word. One page on the computer screen is how many books pages? In say a size 11-12 garamond font.

Garamond is a serif font, closer in form to Times New Roman than Courier. What that means is that you can fit more words on a page in Garamond/TNR than you can with Courier. Publisher prefer to receive manuscripts in Courier because it's a more accurate representation of how many words really WILL fit on a page. It's fine to type it however you like while you're typing it, but you might consider switching it to Courier New before you submit it anywhere. In Courier New, with a 12 pt. font, one screen page is approximately one book page. That is to say, a typical novel of 400 pages is about 400 double-spaced pages of text (with 25 lines per page +/-) Now, when you're talking poetry, that's a whole different thing, so don't quote me on that. It would depend entirely on the poem in question as to whether it fills a page.

2) How many words does a book of poetry need to be?

Most poetry collections feature one poem per page. So, it's not a matter of how many words, but how many poems. Many poetry books are first published in either trade softcover or small hardback. People recognize that collections of poetry are skinnier, page-wise, than a novel. But you're still looking at around 75-150 poems for a standard collection.

3) Is it okay to put in a book a picture of yourself though it may not show your face?

You'd think this was a simple question, but it's not. Mostly, it depends. See, when it comes to photographs, it's not the SUBJECT of the photo who controls, but the PHOTOGRAPHER. So, it would depend on what permission you got from the person who took the picture. And, keep in mind that the quality of a photograph for a book is demanding. A publisher is generally going to want at least a 300 dpi, and often a 600 or 1200 dpi photo, which your average, off-the-shelf camera can't manage. The publisher might also require a slide, as opposed to a digital file. You can read about the rights surrounding photographs at the U.S. Copyright site. Here's a link.

<http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html#copying>

4) Is there any specific route I need to take in putting pictures (digitally taken) in a book.

See above. If YOU'RE taking them, it should be fine. But check the requirements of the publisher before you start. The demands of putting a photo in print without it winding up really pixel-y are tough.

5)Is it okay to draw up your own book cover ideas to present to publishers/agents?

You can always offer, but it's highly unlikely that an editor at a typical commercial publisher would do more than nod politely and pass along the sheet to the art department. Then it's up to the artist. They mostly use in-house artists for covers and inside book shots. You'll have better luck with small presses or subsidy presses. Our first book used historical photos and they did use the cover image we offered. It just worked, and it's hard to argue with success.

A lot i know but I'm pulling together a lot of things.

Not a problem. I will mention that it's REALLY difficult for a debut poet to break into the market right off the bat. You'd have better luck concentrating on getting as many of the poems published in magazines as you can. THEN you can turn to a publisher and say, "See? I have a following!" Then they can gather up the "previously published" poems, add a bunch of new ones and pass them along to your adoring fans in a bound collection.

Good luck!