HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ord Retniap

Punctuation/Style Question

I'm not too sure how best to set this sentence out:

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, the best of which was "declare bankruptcy," the worst "move to another country."

The options as I see them are to either leave it as it is above or to capitalise the first letters of the quotations thus:

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, the best of which was "Declare bankruptcy," the worst "Move to another country."

Any thoughts?

stevenlabri ô¿ô

Re: Punctuation/Style Question

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, the best was, declare bankruptcy, the worst, move to another country.

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, the best being, declare bankruptcy, the worst, move to another country.

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions. The best being, declare bankruptcy, the worst, move to another country.

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, among them; declare bankruptcy or move to another country—the first being the best, the latter the worst.

of which, was, or being are basically interchangable.

FWIW

cara k

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, such as declaring bankruptcy or moving to another country.

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, ranging from declaring bankruptcy to moving to another country.

Hope that helps.

--Cara K

Ord Retniap

Thanks very much for the ideas guys. Under any other circumstances I'd do something like you suggest but in this instance I don't want to paraphrase the friends' suggestions (should have made that clearer in the first post.)

I want to keep them as quotes to show that the friends' own words are being repeated. I also want to keep it as one short sentence. Ack, maybe I've been looking at this too long.

Jeanne Gassman

Ord,

This might work for you, and it's grammatically acceptable:

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions: the best, to declare bankruptcy; the worst, to move to another country.

I think what you want in this sentence to make it sound right is rhythm and parallelism.

Hope that helps.

Jeanne

Cathy C

"Declare bankruptcy," was the best suggestion I heard from friends. The worst was, "Move to another country."

At least, that's how I'd do it.

Busy Lizzy

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, the best was, declare bankruptcy, the worst, move to another country.

How about:

Friends offered countless suggestions, none of them helpful.

Some said,"Declare bankrupcy." - and that was one of the best.

The worst was,"Move to another country."

Naomi R

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions, the best being to declare bankruptcy,and the worst being to move to another country.

Busy Lizzy

Ord,

Do we get a prize for the best?? Oh, pleeease!

leslee

Friends offered countless unhelpful suggestions. Declare bankruptcy. Move to another country.