HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Alex Hipkins

Has anyone ever....

Has anyone ever created a name for a character in one of their works, or of something in their work, that they had no knowledge of whether it was real or had a meaning to it?

I just did that with one of my characters, which is a spirit whose name is a put together of a Hebrew word meaning My Father and an Archangel.

I did not know that his name had any meaning at all, but looking into it, I think that it is very fitting of what I imagined the character to be like and what it is believed to be in mythology and religion.

Misty Mann

Re: Has anyone ever....

That happens to me when I'm writing a good story. However, I have to ask why your character (spirit) would have such a weird name. Is his name AbaMichael, AbaGabriel, or some variant? That sounds like a made up name to me, not an accident.

Alex Hipkins

Abi'sama'el is the name for my spirit. Abi, yes means My father, or father, depending on the variation you use, and sama'el is a variant of samael, which is one of the archangels, referred to as both good and evil in descriptions.

I had not read into any of it before coming up with the name, it just appeared to happen that way and a friend actually researched it some and told me what it was. His guess was that it could have been a subconscious creation from having watched Hellboy a few years back, as Samael is who the main villain is supposed to be.

Busy Lizzy

I had an experience like that too. In my novel, I gave one of the characters a name, any name, that sounded perfect for that person.

The novel takes place in a fictional shop in a real town. When I googled shops of that type in that town, I discovered that the name of the "real" shop, located in the street I decided to put it in, is named exactly like my character's name.

It was a very weird coincidence. Needless to say, I changed the name of the character.

So you see, you're not the only one.

Creepy, when that type of thing happens...

Naomi R

I did that once. I named a character by mixing the names of his grandmother and uncle so that his name was Arius, and a few weeks later, I found that it actually meant something and fit his character well. Even if there's irony in the name, it's still pretty cool though.

The Midnight Writer

i gave my heroine, who is usurping a throne, a snappy made up nickname for her longer feminine name and when i looked it up, it meant usurper. i seriously had no idea.

Gregory White

yes. In the novel I am working on, the main character's name is Cybil. The book would be considered magical realism and she is a modern witch.

I didn't know until six months into the project that Cybil meant "sooth sayer".

Gregory