HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Matt Austin

Is Harry Potter considered YA?

Is Harry Potter considered YA?

Although my book is definitely not a Harry Potter knockoff, it would probably be read by the same kind of readers. Just curious...

S Stull

Re: Is Harry Potter considered YA?

It started off as YA, and is still marketed that way, although I know loads of adults read it too, because the themes are actually quite mature. There are possibly more adult fans than children, even.

Dave O

I believe the first two books are actually considered MG, but this is debatable. The later ones are definitely YA, I think. Maybe mature YA, but I definitely would not characterize it as an adult fantasy.

Keith .

What Dave said, but not mature YA.

Matt Austin

thanks folks

Alex DeRoest

That's what's interesting about Harry Potter, it grows with its readers from children's fiction to Young Adult. I don't think anyone could really call Harry Potter mature.

A.L. Sirois

One could argue that HP sits in a category by itself. The books started off as YA, as Stull says, but talk about crossing boundaries! Still, I believe that at heart it remains YA. It isn't adult fantasy, as Dave rightly points out, but certainly many adults -- including yours truly -- read the books with great enjoyment.

S Stull

The reason I called HP "mature" was purely subjective.... My reasoning was simply that it was so DARK, and so much was at stake, and that's really not a children's theme so much.

Children don't really fear death--not without good reason. That's (mostly) an adult terror. I felt like there was a great deal of fear on Harry's part towards the finale. And rightly so!

Just me, Lyra

Keith .

Murder, suicide, drug abuse, rape, molestation, self mutilation--these and more appear in some YA. So does the F-Word. That's why I wouldn't classify HP as mature YA. What do I know? I couldn't get beyond page 40 of the 1st book. Movies were okay.
    km