HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: POV ideas?

Ray Veen

Re: POV ideas?

I thought Jeanne's original suggestion was great. Write first-person, sharing the MC's thoughts, and omitting the secondary character's thoughts ('showing' them when neccessary).

I'm confused as to why you thought this wouldn't work for your story.

Busy Lizzy

It's because greedy me would like to splurge and show my MC from the POV of the other characters too.

It would give a lot of facets to the story.

Don't you think that the discrepancy between what someone says and what he thinks is very exciting and worth depicting? Especially what they think and say to the MC?

But, true, I think I'm being too ambitious.

>sigh<

Finnley Wren

I don't want to make you nervous. I just wanted to know, if anybody has had experience with combining both 1st and 3rd person. Have you actually done it? And does it really work for you?

I appreciate that, and its been an interesting thread. Like I said, I write either first- or third- person and live with the shortcomings of either. When writing in first-person, you can't get into other peoples heads. Like someone above said, you can show what they are thinking through their actions or reactions.

Maybe Vonnegut could do it and get away with it. But he could do anything and make it work.

Joe Zeff

If you're writing in First Person Past, there's a way to get into somebody else's head: have that person tell your MC what happened, including their thoughts. It also works to get something into the story you need, but couldn't otherwise put in because your POV character wasn't there.

Busy Lizzy

Yes, that sounds like an interesting possibility, Joe. I'm going to ponder on that. It might just work, if I refiddle the structure of my book.Thanks for the inspiration.