HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lite Weight

Rogue Mutt

Lite Weight

OK, I'm bored so I'm going to ask a fairly stupid question. Yesterday I was thinking about the band Coldplay and how I consider them "U2 Lite" because their first three albums sounded a lot like U2 only not as good and not as political. Then I got to thinking that the story I'm working on now is "John Irving Lite" because it has most of the same elements as all his novels (almost all of which I've read at least twice) but it's not as good or political.

Now if I told an agent my story was "John Irving Lite" the good thing I suppose would be that they'd have a good idea how to categorize it--presuming they know who he is; if they haven't I shouldn't be querying them in the first place. At the same time the "Lite" would probably be considered belittling my own work, though really he's published eleven novels and won an Oscar and I've done nothing so why shouldn't I consider myself not as good?

So where do you come down on my neurotic issue?

jayce

Re: Lite Weight

I think saying you're the "Lite" version is putting yourself down, and not in a charming way. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't compare my writing to another's ever, for several reasons. (A) What if the agent didn't like the other writer?; (2) what if the agent takes the attitude, "Okay, big shot, prove it."; and (iii) it shifts the focus away from how well you write, to how better or worse you write than so-and-so.

My opinion.

A.L. Sirois

What's this about your necrotic tissue?

nom de plume

"So where do you come down on my neurotic issue?"

Your lewd proposal turns me off.

If you feel you must, you could say something like: readers who love John Irving but find his work too political will appreciate my novel...

But honestly, why not simply write a good query without the above BS. Based on that--and, if asked, a synopsis and the first five pages--the ass't will request more or not. S/he may not even have read Irving and your query'll put her on the spot.

d. Leroy

Ain't nothin' wrong with associating work to a well-known author for categorization. I did it and it worked.

Anyways... Rogue, I don't like the 'lite' word, I'd say John Irvingish.

d.

Ray Veen

Tricky. I could envision agents reacting in a variety of ways (not that I know how agents think); some might appreciate it, some might sneer, some might simply shrug and read on.

If it were me, I think I'd leave it out. I've read much of my genre, I know exactly which authors my writing might bear similarities to, but ultimately, comparisons are sosubjective. I'm hoping the agents reading my partials and fulls draw these conclusions on their own.

I'm gonna just shrug, I think. And say, "follow your heart, young Rogue, follow your heart".

Denise Keller

I think my only advice is don't listen to Coldplay.

(But thanks for the post...I learned a ton reading everyone elses advice.)

d. Leroy

Denise,
    You may be an old pro, and if so, I don't mean to insult your intelligence or experience. If not and you're learning from this board, don't pay attention to my post - it's crap, like so much of what I write.

I was joking with Rogue.

d.

Rogue Mutt

What I really want to do is send it to The Man himself, but then he'd probably just think I'm a stalker and I don't want him to think that until I've got a rabbit to boil in a pot for him.

Denise Keller

d. -

I'm not an old pro, and I consider myself warned.

If I put a smiley after that, do I get kicked off the board?

- D.