HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thought police

Denise Keller

Thought police

It\'s hard for me to ask for help like this. But I\'m desperate.

My superego is out of control today and everything I\'m writing doesn\'t read like Stephen King, Philip K. Dick or Nancy Farmer. Therefore, the superego cannot accept it and keeps throwing it out. I hate that thing.

What do you do on a day like that? How do you shut up the thought police?

Thanks in advance. I\'m new, and this looked like friendly place. I\'ll try not to whine every post.

Denise

Frank Baron

Re: Thought police

Well, you're not any of those people so quit trying to write like them.

Write like Denise Keller.

Ray Veen

You're never impartial to anything you write until weeks later. Fly through your first draft - without making changes - then tuck it away.

Theeeeeeennnnn..... you'll have the emotional distance to make logical changes.

Rogue Mutt

Nah, I usually think everything I do is brilliant...because it is. ;-)

Seriously though sometimes I'm laboring out there, but I try to keep plugging away to reach my word count or the end of the scene. Then I remind myself that I'll have to go back and change it in editing. Really you just need the same mantra as barbers: It will grow back! Whatever you do you can undo later, so don't fret too much.

Denise Keller

Focus on the story, the words. Got it.
    Don't get cocky. Got it.

Thanks everyone. It really helped. I knew those things, but its easy to forget when Superego is bossing me around.

leslee

Liquor.

Phat Chanse

Write your story in your unique style, draw from others if you must. Be descriptive and above all, don't worry about word count, if it's a short story then so be it, the idea is to write a story you like and that others hopefully will too.

Your story is going to be edited one way or another and if you're worried about word count, then make sure you put in a lot of details and flesh out your characters.

Ray Veen

Leslee - I've noticed that liquor is your suggestion for a lot of things. I like the way you think.

leslee

Ray - I'll drink to that!

Rogue Mutt

You know, some of the best writers were alcoholics. Cheers!