HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Roxanne Skelly

How do you find the right mindspace for writing.

I've recently started placing the truly disturbing thoughts and stories bouncing around in my head into my laptop. I'm really finding I need to be in the right state of mind to focus on my writing, and well, sometimes I've trouble getting there.
    A long day at work really kills my ability to focus, and my recent jaw surgery really derailed me from my daily hour or two of writing.
    I know this has probably been endlessly discussed, but I'm really looking for ideas on how to to slide back into that perfect state of mind for writing. So far, a soundtrack works pretty well. And I love to write in coffee shops. But any other thoughts on how to put a long, stressful workday behind me would be much appreciated.

Rox

Tracy Carpenter

Re: How do you find the right mindspace for writing.

I have a writer's block book that I whip out, even if I don't necessarily have writers block...it forces me to write about randomness, and sometimes (sometimes not) this randomness turns into something. :-)

Debra Storky

I find I write best early in the morning, when the house is quiet and my mind is fresh and not too cluttered.

Jaw surgery sounds painful! When I had bad morning sickness, I gave myself permission to stop writing and just take care of myself physically. Maybe you need to do that?

Sometimes when I get burned out in general, about once a year, I'll take a few weeks off from writing. Afterward, I find it refreshing to come back to it.

Rogue Mutt

I just try to get my 2,000 words a night even if I'm scuffling. That's what editing is for!

Sail Away

A cup of herbal tea is a great ritual to get rid of workday stress. If something is really bothering you about work, write out a solution first and then tackle your creative writing.

Sometimes writing out a to do list before leaving work helps me to put everything out of my mind and I am ready to write when I get home.

Good luck and happy recovery from your surgery.

-SA

BTW - TV zaps all creative energy from me. That's why I don't have one anymore.

Beautiful Loser

If you're having trouble focusing on writing, there are several things you can do to alleviate some of those frustrating disturbances surrounding you.

First, find a quiet time and place to jot down your ideas, either on paper, laptop, or other medium.

Second, establish a time when you can devote all of your undivided attention solely to writing.

Lastly, learn to put the mental and physical stresses in check. This is difficult, but it's not impossible. Let your mind control your body/don't let your body tell your mind what to do.

Don't worry yourself with quality or quantity. It'll all come together in your rewrites/editing phase.

S Stull

For focussing, all the other's stragtegies are great ways to buckle down and write. Herbal tea, quiet space, a writer's block book, yeah, if they help ya, use 'em. But for me, I don't freak out about what I do or don't write. I may write absolute rubbish one night, but I can always go back and edit. I've got school, work, three instruments to practise, karate, horses to ride/care for, and anything else that comes up in my schedule. But writing should be a relaxing time. A free time. You-and-your-good-book time.

Oh, and everyone should get rid of the telly.

Just FYI: I had TMJ work on my jaw a while back, and took a niiiiceee looooooong break from everything. Even writing. You can't type right in pain. In fact, forcing yourself to will only make it worse.

--Lyra

Nan Hammond

I like my telly...

But I agree with the Stull. Take care of yourself first. Relax. Destress. Schedule time for YOU. I find that when I'm in a state nothing seems to flow right. Lock yourseld in a room and daydream. Daydream until the details become clearer and it all makes so much sense that you HAVE to write it before it disappears FOREVER! (FoReVeR...ForeVer....Forever...forever...fo r..e.v..r.....f...v...r.........fffffffffffffff)

*end brainfart*

Ray Veen

I have two suggestions.

One, coffee houses are really cool to hang out in, especially if your friends Joey and Chandler are there. But they can be really distracting too, especially if your friends Joey and Chandler are there. Go somewhere private. Like your closet.

Two, try working from a strict outline. I've found I don't need muse-like inspiration, or magical fairy dust, or anything like that... as long as the work is all laid out for me in the morning. The biggest challenge then is to just sit down to it. After that, it's cake.

I was gonna say how I've been known to whip out 6000 words before going to my actual paying job, but that would be bragging, so I won't mention how sometimes I can write as many as 6000 words in a day (before going to my paying job). In fact, my humility compels to select and delete this entire paragraph right now. Sure hope my mouse doesn't accidentally click the 'post' button on the way. Cuz it's really close to where I'm typing.

Roxanne Skelly

Well, I think I'm getting my mental groove back. I probably won't be fortunate enough to get my sanity back, but hey, I'm able to write again. Sat down for the first time in 3 weeks to jot down a few pages, now that I'm off pain killers.
    I also reached a moment of zen and acceptance relating to some issues at work...

Found my coffee shop, put on my headphones and my writing soundtrack, and off I went. Strangely enough, I do rather well in coffee shops. Once I focus, I'm not easily distracted, its all a matter of gaining that focus.