HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My Turn

jayce

Re: My Turn

Thanks for the clarification. I think we agree that Rogue has a good start here; as I said, the voice and characters are engaging. But there's no tension, no sense of foreboding, of some impending act to further engage the reader--until those last three words.

My opinion. Peace.

Rogue Mutt

This could be hanging a battle-ax on the wall to be used later, to explain how the child survived an accident without harm.

Actually it involves his mother being crushed and suffocated by a flying pig, though I'm not entirely sure of the physics; I might need to test it out with a real Pinto and some kind of stuffed pig. And he doesn't escape entirely without harm.

Maybe I should just start off with the pig flying through the windshield. "They say pigs can't fly, but..."

Joe Zeff

There's something in the Seven Rules of Networking (I think it is) that applies here: "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, landing is always a problem and it doesn't pay to be beneath them as they go overhead."

Amanda Brenner

I liked it too. I thought it had an easy and engaging flow. At first I wondered where it was going, but as soon as the vehicle was identified, I think I know. I would say this is worth pursuing. Good luck.

AB

leslee

Small things.

"My mother never drove on highways. She preferred the gravel roads of the county, where three cars in a row was considered a traffic jam and she only had to pay attention enough to not drive off into the ditches on either side of the roadway."

As you can see, I cut "In her entire twenty-five years of life, she left the county only once." I think the paragraph reads better without it. The image of mother off highways is unbroken with the twenty-five years, which are not really important there.

"Not that my mother couldn’t pay attention—she had graduated high school, which was a first in her family—she just liked the freedom of being able to watch a flight of ducks . . .

A group of ducks is not called a "flight." If you are describing a few ducks in the air, it would be "the flight of ducks" not "a flight of ducks," and if you're describing a group of ducks, without the flying aspect being of central importance, you might go with, "a flock of ducks" or "a brace of ducks."

also, in a later paragraph you've got:
    car seat
    backseat
    back roads

Which reads like too much repetition to me.

Best of luck with it, Rogue.

Patrick Edwards

...she had graduated high school, which was a first in her family...

A small nitpick first . I think in "had gruaduated," the had should be italicized. But not that important (your readers should be able to figure that out

Overall, I think I like it. I agree with a couple of others who mention a tad of tension could be tossed somewhere in there. If I'd read nothing (no back cover, no excerpt from a website, etc.) about this before seeing this, I would probably not continue. That being said, of course, I'm probably not your audience so perhaps it could be a bestseller. Judging by the lownumber of bestsellers on the bestsellers' list I've scanned, I haven't read many of them (maybe one out of the last 1,000!).

Rogue Mutt

For something to be a best seller you have to sell it first. ;-)