HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Tracy Carpenter

Can I post a short chapter?

I have a chapter to post (only one page double spaced.) Is it appropriate to post it here for some feedback?

Rogue Mutt

Re: Can I post a short chapter?

Sure, just make sure you put the extra space between paragraphs so it doesn't run together.

Tracy Carpenter

Awesome, I am at the point in my writing "career" that I am in need of professional critique

Keith .

And you're posting it here? God love you.

Tracy Carpenter

Haha, ok allow me to rephrase my point: I am at the point in my writing "career" that I am in need of critique in general. The only people who have read my work are professors and my husband. So hey, critique from professional writers or professional wannabe writers...I'll take it all!!!

leslee

I suggest you post a couple of pages, not an entire chapter. You'll get more readers with a shorter piece.

Rogue Mutt

If it's only one page that shouldn't be a problem.

jayce

Oh, goodie. Fresh meat.

Lewis R

Tracy.

Make sure it is the first chapter. I have made the mistake before of posting chapters that came from half way through my novels. This meant that no one really knew what the whole story line was about.

Also, by posting the first chapter it allows the professionals to study the beginning. You are entering a very difficult and highly critical career. If the agents donít like the first paragraph of your novel they will just send it back to you.

You must get them hooked from the first line.

This site will give you excellent advice on that as there are authors, agents and publishers.

Beware of the cowboys in the writing industry. I donít mean on this site but the type of agents that will make you believe you are going to be published and ask for money up front. If they charge, donít go anyway near them. Real agents do not charge. Also, beware of ĎVanity publishers.í

Good luck.

Lewis

Verniel Cutar

Sure post a chapter. It would be a great read. :-)