HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    KMH Stone

How many hours do you spend writing each day?

How many hours during weekdays and weekends? Is there a difference? Which day do you find writing the easiest or produce your best work? Also what times of the day do you enjoy writing the best?

Smiling Curmudgeon

Re: How many hours do you spend writing each day?

There are as many answers to those questions as there are writers.

Don't obsess about it. Do what works for you. Don't be surprised if what works changes and changes again.

Main thing is---write. Try to do it on a regular basis, even if you only write a few words. Build the habit.

From your profile, you have plenty going on at this point. So don't stress about it. Do build the habit, one keystroke at a time.

Cur

Ray Veen

I was gonna tell you about my writing schedule but Cur just took the wind out of my sails.

I will say this: I've been sacrificing, a lot, to find the time to write.

larry moses

Sometimes all day and into the night. Sometimes 2 hrs. a day. Sometimes 0 hrs. a day.

A.L. Sirois

What Cur said. I try to get an hour in before leaving for work. Weekends, two-three hours a day.

Smiling Curmudgeon

Ray,

Didn't intend to take the wind from your or anyone else's sails.

Merely meant to convey writers don't all go at it the same way. Several years ago I read an interview of a successful author who writes between 10:00 P.M. and 2:00 A.M.

Another successful author writes in the morning. Finishes his daily quota around lunch time.

What's your approach? I'm interested.

Others might find it helpful

Cur

S Stull

Me? Whenever I find time between house duties, practising my viola, violin, and piano, going to karate, taking classes and working. Weekends open vast oppertunities for writing hours at a time--between horseback riding and other barn chores. I use my writing as a stress reliever--theraputic writing, if you like. Took the place of Prosac.

Taking a laptop wherever you go helps. Slip in an extra word wherever you can.

Rogue Mutt

Over the last few months I've been writing after work a couple hours on weekdays and then from the better part of 10am-5pm on Saturdays. And Sundays I rest--or try to.

Ray Veen

Wow, look at Rogue keepin' the Sabbath. You're going to heaven for sure.

Patrick Edwards

I write more with an eye on the word count, but I'd say--when I'm good--an hour and a half weekdays (approx 3x / workweek) and a couple of hours on Saturday or Sunday (usually not both). But when I'm bad, I'm bad. That's when my only writing is on this here board and e-mails (and I always think about writing, though

But, at the very least, I do have From G's to Gents (and Big Brother) to occupy my time.