HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A.L. Sirois

Re: What do you think of prefaces and what can be put in them?

It's possible you may be able to incorporate some of this material into a framing sequence. For example, one of my books takes place in 1870. But I framed the main action with a short sequence set in 1925 when my main character, grown elderly, looked back on those events. I wrapped the book up with another sequence set in 1925 that added a bit of spin to what had gone before and tied in with the opening section.

Matt Austin

My fantasy novel (which I just sent queries out on) has a six page prologue that takes place 7000 years before the main story.

I'm kinda worried that some of the agents may be turning it down without seeing the real meat and potatoes of my story based on those first few pages.

Maybe we should be sending the first five pages of chapter one???

Rogue Mutt

Yes Matt that's probably a good idea to send them Chapter 1 where the real story begins.

cara k

Matt--

I don't write fantasy, but in general, I have heard of agents telling writers not to submit their prologue in a sample, just to start with the first chapter. Of course, if the prologue is vital to the story, such a writer may as well just shoot himself in the hand, imo. Just one reason why I try to stay away from prologues.

--Cara K

Matt Austin

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

If only I'd read this thread before I sent all my queries out last week!

I've had a couple of rejections saying the first few pages weren't for them.

I guess its too late to email back with the first few pages of chapter one.

Ray Veen

So prologues are unpopular right now. They remain a legitimate literary device, and if you feel it adds something to your story, then by all means use it. Just be aware of this: these are some magicks men were never meant to weild. To use them invites danger, drawing evil like a beacon.

Prologues are like Tolkien's 'one ring'.

cara k

Matt--

The good news is that, because agents receive so many queries per day, they'll probably forget about yours before long. If I were you, I'd wait a few months, then query them again, sending your chapter as a sample instead of your prologue.

--Cara K

the cat came back

My guess is that the nature of the prologue is everything. I can't imagine an agent having much of a problem with the prologue of the Da Vinci Code, for instance.