HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KMH Stone

Where do you find the motivation to write?

I am finding it particularly difficult progressing with my novel right now, especially with having to work long hours in a office. Where do find the motivation?

Rich DeRuvo

Re: Where do you find the motivation to write?

Sometimes I don't but I just recently said to myself "500 words in the morning and 500 at night". It may not be good but once you start you'll see that after a few hundred words you aren't trying anymore. You have to discipline yourself, it's not easy but you can do it.

Ray Veen

I have a good job, but it's not my dream job. The other night I was catching some lady's diarrhea in a cup and I almost threw up. So my job is my motivation.

When I grow up, I want to be a writer.

Nan Hammond

I soooo wanna ask but... its just so much more fun imagining what it is you do....

MUAHHAHAH

stevenlabri τΏτ

You don't find motivation, it finds you. If you want to write, if you can write, you will.

larry moses

I find the motivation by imagining a big, fat check in my hand. I find the motivation by seeing my novel turned into a film. I find the motivation by being recognized as that bestseller writer. And then I write. I bust my chops using my imagination and just write until I have typed a little over 300 pages. Now, it's back to the writing pad for me.

larry moses

Also, if you write 10 pages a day, you'll have 100 pages in ten days. I focus on that also and it motivates me.

A.L. Sirois

I have to write, I dunno, I am impelled. If I don't I get... weird. Same thing if I don't play music. My mental health demands that I do these things.

leslee

I never feel motivated to write. I only feel inspired. Either the inspiration comes or it doesn't.

"Motivation" is what I use to get out of bed in the morning, work a job and get a paycheck. No inspiration involved there.

Ray Veen

Nan - I'm a surgical technologist. Normally it's not my job to catch poo, but it kept squirting and squirting and somebody had to do something, so... I grabbed a cup and held it down there. Nice huh?

So to clarify: motivation-wise, I have this pretty sure feeling that I wasn't destined to be a poo catcher. The dry heaves only confirmed that.