HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Byron Millard

Re: Writing all MAJOR scenes first?

If you wrote all of the major scenes first it would act very much like an outline. You have the crucial points that define the work, and then all you have to do is fill in. I've never been able to do that; I start at the beginning and run the entire way through. I then go back through it and make corrections whether big or small. That's not a terribly good way to do it either but it works for me. It's all preference really.

Linden Holidae

Leap Frog or Stepping Stones...

I like to make my 'stepping stones' when i know where my
    story is going, of course sometimes it's great to just
    make something up as you go...

and then again, sometimes i'm tired of thinking about the next scene, and am excited about a climax of the story... and i just go to that chapter outline and do my 'literary vomiting' on the page, just to get it out... feels good, makes me excited about the novel again, and then i go back and glean, write, glean... etc.

larry moses

Re: Leap Frog or Stepping Stones...

I start with the minor scenes, with some conflict in-between. Then more minor and conflict and then the major scenes. That make sense?

the cat came back

Not at all.

larry moses

Just what I thought.

Anyway, I just write the story and once it makes sense to me, nothing esle matters.

Butterfly Kisses

I like to be surprised by my character's development. Personally, I would feel the story was generic and would find it harder to create the fillers. One thing I've leaned in this industry is to take bits and pieces of advice from those offering and let my characters shape the story. I believe the scenes become more exciting.

BK

Joe Zeff

An often false assumption

The only way you could write all the major scenes first is if you knew exactly what your book was going to be before you started and had no intention of changing things as you go. In my case, at least, that would be false.

In general, I know where I'm starting, where I want to end, and a very rough idea of how to get there. Sometimes, the course of the story as written is quite different from what I thought it would be, and the character's personalities are subject to change at the author's whim.

You see, I write for NaNoWriMo, writing at least 50,000 words in 30 days. Much of what I do is finding new ways to get my 1700 words/day quota finished without actually padding, or taking my story too close to the ending. That means I have to come up with new complications, new distractions, new ways to keep things going day in and day out.

The best job I ever did on that was on my first book. I came up with something that took my MC an entire day to deal with, along with other things happening that day, that looked important at the time but turned out to be a dead end. None of my beta-readers complained, because it was a detective story, and part of solving a crime is running down leads and finding out if they're important or not. It not only wasn't a problem, it gave the story more verisimilitude. And yet, it was all done to soak up a day's worth of writing without advancing the plot one single, solitary bit. How could that possibly have been planned in advance?

I suppose, if you're the type of writer who likes to outline everything in detail then flesh it out to create your first draft, this might work but if so, you certainly don't write the way I do!

Morten Aaroe

Re: An often false assumption

Personally I prefer to write the story from start to finish. I do, however, keep the major scenes in the back of my mind, but don't flesh them out until the story gets there. It reduces the amount of backtracking I need to do to get the details right.

Yet, if writing the major scenes first works for you, do it. Don't let others routines get in your way.