HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Tracey Kallab

grammar question

Hi all,
    I've just started reading a new novel written in 3rd person, omni. When the narrator reveals the main characters thoughts (not actual words), they are in double quotation marks. Is that typical? For instance:
    Joe was amazed at the way his dog could read his emotions and thought "Wow, it's like he can see through me,".

I'm a new writer so I've begun to really study grammar structure (along with a hundred other things) when I read. Quotations marks used for thoughts seemed odd to me.
    TK

nancy drew

Re: grammar question

I know Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (Browne & King) suggests "dispensing with any thinker attributions along the way," to give a distinct voice for narrative vs. interior monologue in third-person narrative.

E.g.: Had I meant to kill her? he thought.

Could be changed to: Had he meant to kill her?

They also suggest you can use italics sparingly, again without thinker attribution (and yes, this is also for third-person narrative):

Had I meant to kill her?

Anyone else have suggestions?

Busy Lizzy

IMO, if it's quite clear that you are writing in the "thinker's" POV,you can just dispense with the quotation marks, especially if you do this throughout your novel and the reader gets used to it.

Taking your example, I would write:

Joe was amazed at the way his dog could read his emotions. Wow, it's like he can see through me, he thought.

Busy Lizzy

Patrick Edwards

What nancy and Busy said...