HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: writing plan

D C

writing plan

hello there. I\'m a new writer, and I\'ve been having some difficulties on planning my writing to meet the plot, getting lost in details, etc.
    I would like to know if someone has some good writing plans to show me. If there\'s a topic about this already, please redirect me to it. thank you.

Ce Ce

Re: writing plan

Writing plan?

You're supposed to have a plan?

Well, shoot.

I've been doing it wrong all these years.

the cat came back

Write the story.

Sail Away

DC,
    Have you considered outlining your story? It doesn't have to be detailed. A rough sketch of where your plot is headed may help to keep you on track.

Getting lost in the details is not necessarily a bad thing. You will be able to prune most of them in later revisions. If you need to put in a bunch during your first draft, then don't sweat it. Do what it takes to keep the story moving along.

Good luck,
    -SA

Jean Bonifacios

I took a class one time where the instructor was adament on writing an outline first. He even went so far as to say that all novels should start off as a synopsis. You just thread from there. (I walked out thinking he was living in a dream world.)

I can see how maybe outlining might be possible, I have never been able to do it. I like to write not knowing what's going to happen each day until I put my glasses on and lay my hands on the keyboard.

How wonderful it would be if we all could do our synopsis first. (Seeing as that is the hardest thing to do next to the query.)

Just tell a story. When you're done, read it and tell it again, but better. Just like on the shampoo bottles, "Lather, rinse, repeat." You're novel is never done until it's on a Barnes and Noble bookshelf.

Linden Holidae

What i did...

Hey, i know what you're talking about. It's different when you're new at this.

What i did was make a file for my stories information. I have a Quick Chap. Info file that says:
    Ch. 1:
    Intro: If anyone was introduced in story, who?
    Scene: Where it took place in this chapter?
    Action: What happened?
    Mentioned: A fact that was mentioned, and needs to be included later, sometimes i need this, sometimes i don't.
    Ex: Character said "..." and will do this next Christmas.

When that scene comes up, i didn't lose where i was going with it.

I am sure some will laugh at this, but i have to say, it really helps me when i want to put something in, or take an event out of one chapter and move it later in the story. I just outlined in each chapter where i wanted to go with it. Once i write the chapter, i take out my old outline and put in the three things above, what applies, and there you go. This way too, i found my chapters are flowing and moving on to the next chapter, without messing up facts, or repeating myself, or naming a later character the same name as character in chapter 4. (or many characters names with the same first letter: Larry, Lora, Liam, etc)

I never get confused, my plot is deep with many (a whole family and some extended relatives) characters, very ambitious for a first book. Organization is vital, so that i don't make my story confusing. It is working for me.

Linden Holidae

Oh ya....

I have a character outline,.. My main character loves someone else, moved on to another man because of the situation, had a baby with him, he died, moved on to another man, their kids, what happened later...
    It's like a family tree, my story is an epic saga, takes place during her whole life. If your plot is simple, then the above is true...

Look at Lonesome Dove, or others that have many characters, plots and sub plots... you decide...

When i learned about what other really successful writers did, it was usually a timeline and outlines that helped them.

Sometimes they worked a chapter over and over again to get it where it was just so, that is why they are so successful, they said they attributed it to organization.

Smiling Curmudgeon

Re: Oh ya....

No size fits all.

Many writers don't outline. Many do.

A writer should do what is most comfortable. If one approach works, stick with it. If it makes you crazy, try the other.

If neither works, consider equipping the space where you write with a quart of gin and a really long straw. Sip frequently while your fingers tap the keyboard. I guarantee you'll fervently believe whichever approach you're taking is perfect.

I outline. But thazz 'cuz I once spent four hours taking a ten-question IQ test. Results convinced me I shouldn't leave anything to the vagaries of the creative process!

In fact, I now not only outline, I no longer hunt the wily mastodon while also typing on my notebook. Turns out that's a recipe for going hungry and writing some truly incomprehensible material.

to all

Cur

Derek Wayne

Re: Writing plan

Since we’re all sharing...I don’t have the patience for a structured outline, but I found it very helpful to make notes on an Excel spreadsheet (paper would work too, I guess). I make hundreds of random notes, which would only make sense to me. Then, I’m able to re-arrange them and “check them off” once they’re incorporated into the story. It is a quick visual for keeping track of the things I want/need to add.

That’s me.

DW

D C

again

thank you for some guidelines.

in fact, I did write what is "supposedly" my first "novel", but I didn't plan anything, I just... wrote it!
    in the end I think it's quite an interesting literary piece for me, very thoughtful, but the story gets pretty messed up in between, and only in the last chapter you realize there's actually and line through it all. and that's okay for me.

but now, for a new work, I would like to try something different, maybe some... planning... outlining...

what I wanted was actually something like Linden said, a guide not to get lost in the process, not to give characters different names and ages, etc.

there are programs that help you do that to movie scripts, and so I thought that maybe there was something similar for just writing ordinary stuff, where you could put your information and keep it "clean". that's basically it.