HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    L C

Re: Charles.....

<< The OP keeps on hammering about exactly how many consecutive words >>

And you keep hammering about how you're out of here, yet here you are ...again.

Charles, if you're a student wondering how much you can paraphrase (sounds like that's the case?), know that Turnitin (turnitin.com) is common sofware used. Basically, it scans your paper and compares it against a database of known similar papers. There's a controversy in academia because apparently the company keeps a record of all student work submitted to it, and is this legal, ethical or right? Anyhow, it spits back a report showing how this paragraph has a "50% chance of being original," that paragraph has a "30% chance of being original," etc. How it makes those determinations, who knows? It's proprietary.

It's buggy and has problems, but it's becoming the standard. You might want to check the website out to learn more about it.

stevenlabri ô¿ô

Re: Charles.....

Anthony is correct.

I recently read “All About Lulu by Jonathan Evison. His first line:

“First, I'm going to give you all the Copperfield crap, and I'm not going to apologize for any of it, not one paragraph, so if you're not interested in how I came to see the future, or how I came to understand that the biggest truth in my life was a lie, or, for that matter, how I parlayed my distaste for hot dogs into an '84 RX-7 and a new self-concept, do us both a favor, and just stop now."

Sounf familiar? Try this:

“If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.”

And yet, "Evison's debut is a stunner! . . . viciously funny and deeply felt . . ." -Publishers Weekly

No plagiarism here.