HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Epic

Hybrid View

Rogue Mutt

Epic

I just finished the first draft of my WIP which came out to 163,000 words. Is that enough to describe it as an "epic saga?" Because that really sounds impressive when I think of it in my movie announcer voice: an epic saga of marriage and sibling rivalry...

(I'm pretty sure that word count will go down in the rewrite--the first draft was in 3rd person omniscient and now I'm rewriting it as 1st person.)

Jena Grace

Re: Epic

I'd call that an epic.

BTW, the first draft of my second novel was 125k. The final product was 78K. I know we don't write in the same genre, but yeah, you can easily trim it down with some work. Good luck!

Ray Veen

Honestly, I'm not sure you define 'epic', but whenever I hear it, I think of something that spans a lot of time, maybe generations.

Congratulations on finishing your first draft. You gonna stick it in a drawer now, or what?

So let's see, if you write 8000 words a day, and its 163,000 words, then it took you 20 days to write? I don't think I want to race you Mr. Mutt.

Rogue Mutt

Actually it was more like 90 days. I started slow in May and then June started putting more time into it, about 20 hours a week. Still on average that's more than 50,000 words a month so take that NanoWriMo people!

nom de plume

This is for Ray Veen.

I just saw your profile. If i were you, i'd attend every City Council meeting to fight for a name change from Ravenna to Rayveenna.

Such a difference two little letters could make!

Pardon the interruption; back to regular programming.

Rogue Mutt

So you just don't believe in Email or something?

Ray Veen

No, the town is named after me. I just spell my name differently cuz I'm so shy and all.

And now back to Rogue.

Ray Veen

Seriously, RM, I'm curious. You seem like a pretty tenacious guy. You gonna keep working on your MS, or is it going in the drawer for a while?

Rogue Mutt

It will be shelved for at least the next week while I'm on vacation in Arizona.

Kitty Foyle

You've picked a pretty hot time of year to vacation in Arizona, Mangy.

Uh-oh....should I have emailed you with that comment? :-)

*_*