HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: character names

nom de plume

Re: character names

Speaking from personal experience, i know how confusing this can become. My wife's name is Naomi. Even at WN people have trouble keeping us apart. So, whenever i get a nasty reply (this doesn't happen often i call her over. "Pssst, Naomi, i think this post is meant for you."

At times my wife raises the specter of divorce. I do believe the only thing that bothers her in our marriage is the close association between Naomi and Nom. So far, i've always managed to talk her out of such silly notions (yeah, i'll be damned if i'm ever going to cough up alimony to her).

The Midnight Writer

haha, nom, hillarious!

Matt Austin

What about names that sound alike? For some odd reason I still can't figure the difference between Huey, Dewey, and Louie...

Steve Howard

Similiar sounding names is the main reason I could never make it through War and Peace, not because the damn thing is like 5000 pages long. Honestly, though I do have a hard time with some of the Russian authors because the character names are often too similiar.

the cat came back

Did you read Mice and Men? All those "C" characters on the farm, but you never mixed them up -- Candy, Curley, Crooks.... Curley's wife had no name, only her role, which was a brilliant stroke. The only non-"C" character with a name was "Slim", which is what a soft "C" sounds like, of course. (All the others were hard Cs. And against that background George and Lenny stood off the page.

He chose those names so carefully!

So what suits you?

In practical terms, it would seem that if two character's names start with the same letter, the resemblance should stop there.

nom de plume

Still, there are always exceptions.

Who is not riveted by the tragic tale of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?

Morten Aaroe

If one of the main characters' name starts with the same letter as a minor character, I doubt that will be a problem. If two minor characters start with the same name, that will likely cause confusion.

Likewise, I think endings can cause problems. Having two gentlemen called Mr. Ashby and Mr. Busby might easily be confused.