HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Names

Lauanna Aaronlap

Names

I am writing a book and i need an unusual name for a boy. If you have any suggestions, please tell me! the siblings are:

Quinn (M)
    Skye (F)
    Azalea (F)
    Miri (F)
    Lilly (F)

nancy drew

Re: Names

Garp. River. Juaquin. Sue.

You know more about this book than we do. What's the genre? Tell us something about the boy.

The name needs to reflect the character and his function in the novel.

I'd say picking a name out of a hat wastes a good opportunity to know your characters better.

nancy drew

Apologies if I sounded snippy Lauanna.

I hope what I said made sense to you.

Joe Zeff

The MC of the last book I finished, and the one I'm working on now is Harald Luciano. Not Harold, Harald. If you want to be a tad old fashioned, either Elmer or Elmo might work. Depending on what you're looking for, you can find any number of good names in the Bible, such as Jedidiah, Ahab, Jesse or Jethro. I do, however, suggest that you avoid some of the Puritan oddities such as Praise God Barebones.

Matt Austin

Fred

Keith .

Azalea? How about Geranium. Fescue? If you have a four-legged canine creature in your book, please call it a freaking dog.
    km

nancy drew

Just don't call it late for dinner.

Lauanna Aaronlap

I like Jesse!! I actually might use it in a different book im writing, too. in the other book, the character is cute, and the MC really likes him. the only name i found that was even close to satisfactory is Rocco, but I like Jesse!!

Gregory White

looks like all the the siblings names are unique.

The first name that popped into my head was:

Percival

my two cents...

Greg

Mandy Pauza

I love going through baby name books and websites looking for just the right name for a character. I agree with another poster that it's a great opportunity to get to know your characters better... people tend to have personalities shaped by their names, or hohw people react to them... and it gives insight into those doing the naming.