HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flashbacks

larry moses

flashbacks

Help! I'm writing a book and have to add some flashbacks. If the flashback will cover about ten or more pages, can I use chapers or just run it as one or part of a chapter?

Hope I explained it clearly.

Thanks.

Joe Zeff

Re: flashbacks

You can do it any way your little heart desires and it will be right.

Keith .

Whew! Nickel's worth of free advice? Let the reader see the action, not be told what happened. Also if novel is in straight past, keep it that way in the flashback. No "had"s. Ten pages gives the reader tons of opportunity to drop out of the story. Gawd. Good luck.
    km

larry moses

Thanks heaps, folks.

What I'm trying to do is this. My character is having major problems with her spouse. Depressed, she locks herself in her bedroom, sobbing her heart out. She can't fathom why this drastic change happened. She goes back to a time when they were so much in love, the things they did and how happy they were.

I do not want it to be long and drawn out. Well, I guess hand-written it will look like one hundred pages, but when typed, it might just be about four or five pages.

the cat came back

I think yur numbers are out of whack.

But the concept seems okay because the reader will be wondering what happened. If you write it like a scene, with a solid scene question and answer, it should hold their interest.

Of course, it's it's difficult to discuss things like this in such an abstract manner.

larry moses

Thank you, the cat...

That's exactly how I plan to write it - like a scene with dialog. It will show how she met him, how the relationship started, what they said to each other, what they did, etc.

larry moses

Hello,

It's me again needing some help.

My character is reflecting on earlier times with her husband before he changed toward her. I try writing the dialog in the past since she's thinking back, but I sometimes revert to the present. Should I continue the dialog in the past tense?

Thank you.

Patrick Edwards

Hey, larry

If I'm understanding what you're saying, I think you want to initially use the past tense (or, more specifically, some form of past tense--not very good with the terms ), but when you get all the way into the flashback, then you can slowly slip into present.

I think that should help.