HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: As a reader...

John Chritton

As a reader...

Are there certain cliches (which apparently isn't a word) that you will not accept in the overarching plot line, even if the book is well-written? For instance, if the RPG standby of collecting several items in search of the final goal was used in a book, would you think that a better alternative was possible?

I'm mainly curious because I know my own likes and dislikes as a reader, but I don't really know what most people think. Any opinions on widely used scenarios like that?

Oh, and I apologize if my writing sucks today...I got some cold or something and it's messing with my brain @_@

Rogue Mutt

Re: As a reader...

It's probably flagging cliche because you can't put the little mark over the E. Anyway, it probably comes down to how well you write the story if people will put up with the gathering thing or not.

John Chritton

That was more an example than anything, but I guess I have a better phrasing of the question. If you're reading a book and see a certain archetype or phrase that you have normally not liked at all, do you immediately become so alert to the quality of the writing that it takes you out of the story?

An example of what I'm trying to avoid is the momentary removal from the story that I get when I read something like "ejaculated" instead of "blurted". I don't TRY and find it odd, but even that thought makes it harder to stay in the reading. Know what I mean?

Rogue Mutt

What kind of books are you reading where people are ejaculating?

Andrew Smith

Those last three posts, read in order, are the funniest bit I've read in months.

Ce Ce

Uh huh.

LOL

Rogue Mutt

Maybe we need to get an act together then.

John Chritton

*pulls EVERYONE'S heads out of the gutter*

Heh...okay, probably should have known that was a bad example But really, I AM curious to know if that's a major issue for readers. I think I'm probably going to change what I'm thinking of to something different anyway, but would that affect you when you're reading it?

Derek Wayne

In all seriousness, and pertaining to what I think your question is--I find the use of words in unexpected ways can be beautiful, or it can be jarring and distracting. It think if it goes with the flow of your writing, it is okay (which apparently isn't a word) to do once in a while. It really needs to be a word that doesn't make you stop reading, or force you to re-read the sentence to understand the context.
    My opinion, anyway.

PS. I don't get your first post.

DW

nancy drew

From page one, chapter one, The Age of Innocence:

"Though there was already talk of the erection ..."

And there would be plenty more, believe me.

Aside from all things archaic, (and as per your request) I think I'd prefer a story in which several items were collected to reach the final goal -- and they were all ultimately useless. E.g. Wizard of Oz or Monty Python's Holy Grail.

A,B,C and Q are more interesting to me than A,B,C and D. I prefer the unexpected. Set 'em up and knock 'em down.