HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tim Koupe

Fantasy Idea - Original or Done Already?

I'm a musician first and foremost. I wrote a little in high school and always enjoyed it, but I never seriously pursued it. Now, for some weird reason, for the past year or so I've incrementally been developing an idea for a story. But not having been exposed much to fantasy or sci-fi, I'm not sure if this is just a rehash - and perhaps a poor one at that. Can anyone tell me if this has been done already?

My idea, loosely relies on the notion that the earth and universe, life as we know it as 4 dimensional, exists as thoughts within a poly-dimensional being. Physics, mass, energy - all properties of the infrastructure as we are physiologically built to understand it, interact with it. Our deaths, are more or less "forgotten thoughts".

Upon our deaths, being "forgotten", we remain unprocessed by the conscious systems of this being. Our souls being the summation of our existence, we propogate ourselves by accessing what we might relate to as the subconscious. Our "afterlife" therefore, is our self propogated existence via the subconscious of the poly-dimensional being we exist within - along with other thoughts that have suffered the same fate. We don't do this deliberately, rather coincidentally, it's a relative subconcious or "instinctive" intent on the part of every life form.

We experience this as a somewhat similar world to Earth, but since it is the summation of all thoughts propogating themselves, it takes on qualities and characteristics of other worlds we've never seen. So, grass and trees may be present in some form, but also animals and minerals we've never seen - size and shape shockingly out of scale with our experience. The idea being that these life forms could come from alternate universes - or just simply worlds in our own universe that exist in another time - the beings of which, just like us, can only draw from their own experience to create this afterlife. We don't really know for sure.

Anyway, that's a loose summary of the foundation of my idea. My story doesn't dwell on this and obviously would never be spelled out quite so crudely and is more of an explanation saved for the end - helps to explain the "supernatural" nature of this existence, but really isn't the point of the story.

Is this a rip-off? Has someone already traversed this ground? Did they take it much further or...??

Sail Away

Re: Fantasy Idea - Original or Done Already?

But not having been exposed much to fantasy or sci-fi,...

Get exposed.

-SA

Ray Veen

I didn't really understand your idea, but it sounds fairly original. Do take SA's advice and read in your intended genre, but other than that, I'd say give it a shot.

But remember: concept alone does not a story make. Be sure you have a suspenseful plot revolving around believable, well-developed characters, otherwise, all your creative steam will be wasted.

Anthony Ravenscroft

In the greater scheme of things, it's probably been "done already." Heck, it sounds a little like Disch or Dick or maybe Malzberg or Zelazny or Delany. Maybe Bear or Benford or Harlan Ellison or Alfie Bester... crud, but the list does go on...

But some of the greatest sf/f stories of all time went to work on what -- in high concept -- were tattered tales.

It's up to you to make it work.

Get a notebook or open up a folder or whatever, & start jotting down notes. Characters, tentative plot outline, background descriptions, interpersonal dynamics.

Go out & read great sf/f. Actually, to get a handle on the concepts, I'd say to avoid novels, at the beginning at least. Go down to the thrift store or used-book shop, & snap up every Terry Carr-edited Year's Best Science Fiction you can get your hands on. Carr almost single-handedly launched the cyberpunk movement in the last years of his life, by spotting writers like William Gibson & harassing 'em until they turned out credible novels.

Joe Zeff

Better yet: see if you can find some of the classic Ace Doubles: two short novels, back-to-back in one volume. Each was upside-down in relation to the other, so that each had its own cover art. Good, well-written fiction, for the most part, but shorter than you'd expect today, because the standards were different. The great thing about them is that you get twice as many stories for your money, often in two completely different styles. If you really want to get classic, see if you can locate Cities in Flight, The original Foundation Trilogy and/or the Lensman series. (Just about anything Campbell wrote would also be worth reading, I might mention.) The point is, if you're going to write in a genre, you have to know it and you can't if you don't read it. You wouldn't expect to write murder mysteries without reading them, would you? Or spy novels? The same goes here. Before you start writing, do your homework and find out what's out there.

Rogue Mutt

Sorry, but you lost me at poly-dimensional.

Smiling Curmudgeon

Joe,

Dunno if you'll see this.

I have some Ace Doubles. Do you know if they have any particular value? Or are they worth nearly nothing like most paperbacks?

Thanks in advance.

Cur

Joe Zeff

Some of them do, others not. All I can suggest is find a used book store that deals in them and see what the owner says. Either that, or see if any of them are listed on Ebay, and if so, for how much. Mostly, of course, they'll be of interest to a collector.

Condition counts, as does the author/authors and cover artists. Kelly Freas did a number of them (Among other things, including Mad Magazine, I might add.) and having his art on the cover or inside is a Good Sign.

Smiling Curmudgeon

Joe,

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I appreciate it.

I'll check Ebay and other sites. Should have done that before I asked the question.

Also have a bunch of old paperback mysteries. John D. MacDonald, etc. Will check those.

Thanks again.

Cur

The Midnight Writer

is this a reincarnation thing?