HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Derek Wayne

reading and writing

I have always loved to read. Always. Which is probably why I've always wanted to write. But I find that over the last year while I've been working on my manuscript, I simply can't get into anything else. Instead of reading a book a week, I have a pile of books that I've been milking fo months. This is not due to lack of time--I still find time for TV, work, other things--but when I read, my mind wanders. Is this normal/common? If so, does it go away? I really miss enjoying a good book.

DW

Jeanne Gassman

Re: reading and writing

Derek,

Perhaps it's time to think about reading like a writer--reading literature to learn the tricks of the trade. I recommend Francine Prose's book, Reading Like A Writer, as a good instructional guide.

Just a thought...

Jeanne

The Midnight Writer

I know exactly what you mean. I get so restless reading a book nowadays. It's very rare that i can read one straight through like i used to...but once i finish the damn thing i pick it apart and do a several hour analysis of what was good and what wasn't, and while i find it neurotically satisfying to be that over-analytical, it ruins the escapist experience a bit...and that's only when i can get past chapter two of anything i pick up anymore...it doesn't happen very often. i feel for ya.

The Midnight Writer

i think i just set a record for run-on sentences there. Sorry!

nancy drew

I was having a similar problem, Derek. Except my mind didn't wander so much as it kept saying, "Yes! What a brilliant idea! I should have a great white whale chew somebody to bits too!"

Very impressionable, I'm afraid.

And Midnight, don't worry about your run-on sentence breaking land records. Ever seen the one by Richard Burton on rugby? (See below)

It's difficult for me to know where to start with rugby. I come from a fanatically rugby-conscious Welsh miner's family, know so much about it, have read so much about it, have heard with delight so many massive lies and stupendous exaggerations about it and have contributed my own fair share, and five of my six brothers played it, one with some distinction, and I mean I even knew a Welsh woman from Taibach who before a home match at Aberavon would drop goals from around forty yards with either foot to entertain the crowd, and her name, I remember, was Annie Mort and she wore sturdy shoes, the kind one reads about in books as “sensible,” though the recipient of a kick from one of Annie's shoes would have been not so much sensible as insensible, and I even knew a chap called Five Cush Cannon who won the sixth replay of a cup final (the previous five encounters, having ended with the scores 0-0, 0-0, 0-0, 0-0, 0-0 including extra time) by throwing the ball over the bar from a scrum ten yards out in a deep fog and claiming a dropped goal. And getting it.

mashawna hacker

I also love to read.Im only 13 years old and i think i read over 30 books this whole year.i am also working on my book.

nancy drew

Good for you Mashawna!

Keep reading--there are a lot of good books out there.

What is the book you're writing about?

Rick Draganowski

I find that my writing is slightly influenced by my readings so I find that, for me at least, it is best to put other authors aside while I am in the midst of creative frenzy. (Two complete manuscripts in editing and two half finished and another just started. I like to write I suppose. Beats television.)

d. Leroy

I guess reading affects me differently. Actually, the more I read, the more I write. When I finish reading a great book, it acts as a huge motivation for me to keep writing - it's like it refuels the cells or something.

I'm no different than most people; trying to juggle the family, the job, the yard-work, the TV Shows I like to watch, and of course, writing. Sometimes I find that making the time to read is a major challenge, but I also notice a trend... the less I read, the less I write.

So, for me, it's my inspiration. Not to mention my number one training material.

d.

N D

I can't read, I can only write. It's a strange brain condition I have since my operation where they removed the part of my brain that deals with editing and rewriting.

Am I spelling everything okay? How's my grammar?