HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Elena Solodow

Changing Standards...Pt. 2

I just wanted to leave a note here as an add-on to the previous post.

Ce Ce, your comment about reading what's current gave me the impulse to actually find out what's current in my genre. I'm not anywhere close to submitting to agents yet, but as I said, you made me curious.

Looking on Amazon for YA fantasy proved rather worthless - Harry Potter, The Golden Compass - yeah, I know about those. But a little more research on google and I've already found about six books that are right in league with my current Work in Progress, that are being published this year. I was really happy to see other books in a similar vein to mine.

Ce Ce

Re: Changing Standards...Pt. 2

Yeah, my agent says most aspiring writers could benefit in several ways just from visiting a bookstore and buying half a dozen recent books.

One of the first questions she asks an aspiring writer is, "Where would I find your book in a bookstore?"

And it better not be in Classics.

Seriously, you're already a leg up on the competition if you know that the sort of thing you're writing is being published now.

Elena Solodow

It's so true that people like Dostoevsky or Dickens might not be published today. You can see the "art of the classic" by reading either, but it certainly won't give you a sense for today's marketplace.

Ce Ce

When I started writing, one of my favorite authors was Agatha Christie. Loved her work. Still do.

But one trip to the bookstore told me that nobody like Christie was being published then. Just her. Cozy mysteries had gone out of fashion.

They've gone in and out at least a couple of times since then, and I expect they'll continue to cycle, because all the genres do.

Thing is, even the cozies of today aren't like Christie's work. They're a modern variation, but she's the classic.

So if we as writers can find a way to weave a modern variation from the threads of a classic or three, chances are we can find a market for it.

Good for us -- and good for the health of fiction, because it's always evolving.

Smiling Curmudgeon

Ce Ce and Elena,

I got to tell you guys I hope standards are changing. Hopefully for the worse.

See, thing is, my time-travel tale weaves sixteenth-century Japanese warlords, a neurotic pharmacist in Topeka who concocted a drug that cures psoriasis , a little old woman in Venezuela who runs the country's largest string of brothels, and three guys on a boat. I'm sorry, but I can't reveal more about the fellas on the boat. Someone might steal my tale.

Cur

Mark Phillips

Cur, get me the name of that docotor in Topeka, my psoriasis is itching.

Mark

Kate Humphrey

I wish that people would stop worrying about their story being stolen. I think most, if not all of the people on here are honest, hard working writers, who have no inclination to steal a story, and the one above isn't one that is likely to be stolen anyway. You copyright when you write, and I can't imagine that anyone would WANT to steal your story or anyone else's. You all need a little faith. KAte

Ce Ce

I think Cur was kidding.

Then again, maybe not. :-)

Smiling Curmudgeon

Mark---The doc's name is Boris Allejandro al-Kaminsky. Ol' boy's pharmacy is located above Filyaw's Pizzeria and Day Surgery. Place is a couple blocks south of downtown on Sixth Street. Just look for the neon sign in the doc's window. "I'll Scratch Your Itch. Wimmen Welcome!"

Ce Ce---Yeah, I was kidding.

Kate---Sorry you got upset. Prolly I should quit trying to bring a smile. You made me smile, though, when you opined, "the one above isn't one that is likely to be stolen anyway." That was kinda the point in my silly post.

I got to git. Mrs. Curmudgeon makin' a real nice soup. Wild collards, stock from mastodon bones boiled in a huge pot over the fire, couple gutted and diced apothecaries (uh-oh, that might be from another tale), large glug-glug of fresh rabbit blood along with the best parts of the intestines. Be some good eatin' tonight in this here cave.

Cur

Kitty Foyle

Good ol' Cur.

You and the missus still living in that cave?

*_*