HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tim Underwood

Re: Chapters and Chapter Length

Thanks for the help. I don't think I asked my question quite correctly the first time.

I understand there aren't any rules. I was wondering, though, if anyone had any ideas on how to use chapter length to influence the story.

As indicated above, for instance, you can vary the sentence length to add tension. How do you use chapter length to affect the reader or is it just not that big of a deal?

I'm guessing I'll probably end up with 1-2 scenes per chapter.

Thanks again,

Tim

Jeanne Gassman

Re: Chapters and Chapter Length

Tim,

Typically, a chapter consists of two or more scenes. You end the chapter when you partially resolve one issue and introduce a new crisis. Think of it as waves building--The tension in chapter two builds, builds, builds a little more, reaches a high point, and then drops slightly. But before the reader completely catches his breath, a new complication/twist is introduced, and you have to turn the page to the next chapter to find out how your character will cope with it.

Hope that helps.

So, the answer to your question is, yes, you can use chapter lengths to control the tension in your story. And if you want to keep the reader up all night turning to the next page, it's always better to set up a lead into a new crisis at the end of each chapter.

Jeanne