HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    David Mivshek

Reversing Genesis; punctuation

Ok. I spoke the first five verses of Genesis with suspicion that if I reversed a recording of it that a hidden message would be revealed. One of the sentences I uncovered has a tricky syntactical structure. Some suggestions concerning how to correctly punctuate it would be appreciated. The order of the words cannot be changed, since when the speech is reversed, the message is spoken in the order the sentence below is written.

The sentence (with the best punctuation I could determine):

WE EACH DID THE, EXCEPT FOR US SEE THROUGH, VOTE; THIS AIN'T CRYSTAL.

What it's implying are the three following points:

1. WE EACH DID THE VOTE
    2. EXCEPT FOR US, each SEE THROUGH (know a hidden aspect
    of) VOTE
    3. THIS (the vote) AIN'T CRYSTAL (clear) to the "us"

L Bea

Re: Reversing Genesis; punctuation

We each did the--except for us see through--vote. This ain't crystal.

Or

We each did the (except for us see through) vote. This ain't crystal.

I didn't use a semi-colon after vote, but you could I guess. It feels like it should be a full stop.

I lean toward solution two.

Bea

David Mivshek

We each did the--except for us see through--vote. This ain't crystal.

Would it be more specific if I place a comma in between "us" and "through," to define that the "us" is not the ones seeing through the vote?

WE EACH DID THE -- EXCEPT FOR US, SEE THROUGH -- VOTE.

My problem with this part: THIS AIN'T CRYSTAL: is that it must only refer to the "us" not being able to see through the vote. By placing a full stop it kinda makes me think that the whole sentence before is being viewed as not crystal clear. Could this be punctuated so it can refer only to the "us" who don't see the vote as see through?

Joe Zeff

What version of Genesis did you use? The sequence has to start with L A C, and in the hypertext version I have, based on the 1917 JPS edition, the first place that happens is in verse 9.

David Mivshek

I'm using Genesis from The Torah (The new JPS translation according to traditional Hebrew text 1963/92).

Beyond that Joe, I have no idea what you're talking about. LAC what? Maybe you've confused what I'm doing. Read my post again. And then explain to me what you're talking about please.

L Bea

Ok ~
    So let me see if I first understand what the sentence means: We EACH did the vote except for us who see this hidden thing which isn't crystal. Is that correct?

We each did the (except for us--see through)vote; this ain't crystal.

I've racked my brain and I can't figure out how you can be really clear that this ain't crystal refers to the select us who know the secret. What does a colon do for you? Does that make it seem We each did the vote: this ain't crystal??? Or could it somehow pull from the interrupter? I don't know.

Consider this though: If the hidden thing isn't crystal, does that not also imply that to each of us who voted it's also not crystal. Cause they don't even know, right?

I don't think the dashes and the comma works, in my opinion. I really think the parentheses are your best bet. They offset it better and the comma feels like a list.

Bea

Mark Phillips

I'm a little confused as to the point of all this. It seems as if you recorded yourself reading, played it backwards to produce a made-up sentence and then want to see how it's punctuated.

The sentence is poor even with all the edits. I don't understand if this is a grammar exercise or if you're trying to uncover some profound "truth" like the bible code.

Mark Phillips

To me, this is the best punctuation:

We each (except for us see through) did the vote; this ain't crystal.

Finnley Wren

SCHIZOPHRENIA CAN - BE TREATED; WITH MEDICATION.

Joe Zeff

I may be misunderstanding, but it sounds like you read the first five verses into a recorder, reversed the "tape" and listened to it. If so, the last word would end with the first letters you read, and I can't find that combination until verse 9.