HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Dave O

Grammar

Ok, so aside from like really simple stuff (verb, noun, adjective, subject verb agreement, etc) I don't know grammar. Like at all. I blame my English teachers for never teaching me.

As a result, I feel like I'm trying to drive a car without seeing where I'm going. Now, I'm exaggerating, but only slightly. I usually write intuitively, but I just don't think that's enough anymore. I think this is a major obstacle that I'll need to overcome before I obtain a mastery of the language.

So, now to my question. Do any of you know of any books, programs, etc that would be able to teach me grammar from the ground up? Thanks in advance.

stevenlabri

Re: Grammar

There are many websites to start with; real ones, supported by colleges. I don't like any of the software and the best way to learn is to read, write, and have someone critique. Google adverbs, adjectives, and such. You will find many resources. Your other choice is night school at a local college.

And you are correct. It is a major obstacle.

Arden Wolfe

I liked Eats, Shoots, And Leaves.

http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Le...9068309&sr=8-1

But, fair warning: It's not for everyone.

Wolfe

Arden Wolfe

I should write one myself! Grammar Sluts and How to School Them.

Um ... random thought. Less Amp...

Wolfe

Jeanne Gassman

Dave,

Sure. Here are a few sites to get you started:

<http://www.lousywriter.com>

<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/>

<http://www.wsu.edu:8080/%7Ebrians/errors/errors.html#errors>

I would also recommend that you go to the bookstore at your local community college and pick up a basic grammar handbook. Hodge's Harbrace College Handbook is a favorite of mine and is used in freshman Eng. comp. courses.

And, although it may seem lame, you will really benefit from diagramming a few sentences. To understand grammar, you need to know the parts of speech, how they are used, and how they should be punctuated. Once you understand those basics, the grammar is easy.

Good luck.

Jeanne

stevenlabri

"I should write one myself! Grammar Sluts and How to School Them."

Sounds to me as if you would have to dress in black leather, stilettos, fishnets, and perhaps a nice whip.

L Bea

Dave,

From what you've posted here (that I've read), you seem to have a natural ability toward grammar, logical speech/thinking. I think it's great to learn technique. It will benefit you, but I think it will be easy for you. You're a natural. I admire your desire to learn. So many want it handed to them. Rare to find those who go after it.

Steven said:

Sounds to me as if you would have to dress in black leather, stilettos, fishnets, and perhaps a nice whip.

Have you been in my closet again, Steven?

Bea

d. Leroy

Dave... I wonder if maybe you're worrying about this more than you need to. I ain't no grammar scholar myself, but you probably know more of the basics than you realize.

If your desire is to write, then write your story. Don't worry about grammar. Write it. Once you've written it, then have someone who knows the mechanics of the language proof it for you. Grammar errors are typically easier to fix than other things like, plot holes, characters changing names midstream, or just dissappearing entirely, completely screwing up the timing between events, forgetting what season you're in, etc. etc. - just some of my own experiences.

When you've changed the name of a character, or completely forgot about them, that sucks way worse than changing "further" to "farther".

d. Leroy

Thanks for stealing my thunder, Bea. Geesh.

Dave O

steven- I don't think I'll be able to manage taking local classes at a college atm. I have
    school now, and college starts in the fall. I guess your advice on the matter is practice
    makes perfect, and solid advice it is. Thanks!

Arden- Thanks very much for the recommendation. I'll have to order it when I get a chance.

Jeanne- Thanks so much for your help! The websites look like great resources and
    your recommendation sounds like just what I neeed. I will pick it up along with Wolfe's as
    soon as I get a chance.

L Bea- Thanks for your kind words.

d. leroy- Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion with me.

You do have a point there. It doesn't matter how well you know the rules if you
    can't play the game. Still, I think it's something I'd like to get into. I don't know if
    I'll ever be a grammar expert, but I certainly think I could use a little more common
    knowledge.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.