HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    David Mivshek

Punctuating Decryptions

Hello.

I am seeking advice concerning inserting punctuation into uncommon sentence structures. The words of the sentences cannot be reordered, because they are formed by a strict format dictating their sequence. Below, are three decryptions that I am asking help for:

Decryption 1:

GO DAVE. HE WINNER OR GAINS.

Decryption 2:

HORDE EVIL. ILL REIGN WANS.

Decryption 3:

DOER A GIVER. A HINTER SWAN.

In decryption 1, "GO" is used as a noun and means, "a successful accomplishment; success." (Webster's).

Decryption 1's first sentence is an abbreviatory description of its second sentence. "GO" references "WINNER OR GAINS" while "DAVE" represents "HE". Would any of the following uses of punctuation be legit?

a) GO: DAVE. HE: WINNER OR GAINS.
    b) GO, DAVE. HE: WINNER OR GAINS.
    c) GO: DAVE. HE WINNER OR GAINS.
    d) GO, DAVE. HE WINNER OR GAINS.

My confusion is conjured by the following reasons:

1. My want to obviate to a viewer that the first sentence
    and second sentence have a structural synchronicity;
    hence, I add a colon after "GO" and a colon after "HE".

2. But, at the same time, I figure that "HE" must be
    followed by a colon, since "HE WINNER" is grammatically
    poor, although "HE GAINS" is not.

3. Or do I separate "GO" and "DAVE" with a comma to
    express them as a list of concepts coming in the second
    sentence?

Decryption 2 I find to be much more easier. (By the way, "EVIL" is used as an adjective.). I have three questions:

1. Should I separate "HORDE" and "EVIL" with a colon?

2. Should I separate "HORDE" and "EVIL" with a comma to
    show a reader that they are two concepts listed in the
    second sentence?

3. Or Is no punctuation needed between "HORDE" and "EVIL"?

My questions relating to Decryption 3 mimic the questions asked for Decryption 2...

"DOER" and "GIVER": separated by a colon, comma, or no
    punctuation?

Ce Ce

Re: Punctuating Decryptions

Trying to be polite here, but what on earth are you doing? I mean, what's the point of using such baffling sentence structure?

Is this for a fiction piece? Poetry?

David Mivshek

Good afternoon Ce Ce. Pleasure to meet you.

The decryptions above are the result of connecting letters in a matrix formed by stacking keywords (as I call 'em), anagrammatizing the connected letters, then extracting the anagrammatizations and laying them out according to a predefined pattern. The process is scientific in that I follow the same sequencing rule for every decryption; therefore, I am not attached to any certain personal reason for using the aforesaid "baffling sentence structure."

Can you help?

Joe Zeff

By "decryption," I, at least, take it to mean that this is some kind of code. Generally, when something is encoded (which is probably what you mean) all punctuation is removed so that there are no clues to the meaning. When such a message is decrypted, there's generally no punctuation unless there are special code groups for them, or it's spelled out as in a classic telegram. HTH, HAND.

David Mivshek

First: Not sure what "HTH, HAND" or "special code groups" means.

Second: ("(E)ncoded" is not what I meant); My decryptions are decodes, not encodes, which was presented in my post before this one.

Third: I want punctuation.

In short, everything I 've aforestated, I meant and I want a solution for.

Thanks for the replies thus far, but still I'm unanswered.

Ce Ce

You're rather demanding, aren't you?

The point we've tried to make is that without knowing what the point of your writing is, it's a bit difficult to know how or if any of us can help you.

I write fiction. I use straightforward declarative sentences with, more or less, standard punctuation. Punctuation tells the reader where a sentence ends, when to pause in reading, when something is intended to be jarring or trail off into a whisper.

I don't know from codes, encoded or decoded.

Sorry.

jayce

Ce Ce:

This fellow takes a set of related words--such as the names of a singing group (I kid you not)--arranges the letters into groups (scientifically, he says), and out pops these "decryptions" (as in the examples he posted above), which he then has to punctuate to somehow render them more (or less) meaningful.

FWIW

Gravity Fades

Maybe he's typing in tongues...

Ce Ce

This fellow takes a set of related words--such as the names of a singing group (I kid you not)--arranges the letters into groups (scientifically, he says), and out pops these "decryptions" (as in the examples he posted above), which he then has to punctuate to somehow render them more (or less) meaningful.

Okay, but to what purpose? Meaningful to whom?

Is all this just for fun? Because, if so, why on earth does he care where the punctuation goes? He can put it wherever the hell he wants.

David Mivshek

Hmmm. I'm sensing a bit of hostility or sarcasm in replies?

Not being demanding; just stating what I'm seeking Ce Ce.
    Also, thanks for giving my post a shot.

Jayce, (the comments you place in parentheses hint harshness and a bit of exaltation you might not deserve). If you plan to unjustly demean my studies without proper knowledge of them, would you please not respond. If I've misinterpreted your reply, then forgive what I just said. But either way, thanks for visiting my web site.

As for Gravity Fades: If you are of the Pentecostal faith and meant your reply in a respectful manner, then I am not typing in tongues. If you are simply making a light-hearted joke, then I had a laugh. If you're communicating an insult, then enjoy someone else's post please.

This is my first post; I am new here. I know none of you, except for the replies in my post. I choose not to squabble, and look forward to being helped and helping others. If this forum is simply a way for other members to vent anger and frustration, would someone please let me know so I can opt out and find another web site?

My questions are still unanswered. Still need help.