HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Anthony Ravenscroft

Beware of freebies

I've avoided gmail, because Google reserves the right to scan whatever you store for keywords, then sell the info to people who want to send you ads for their stuff. Others might find this a reasonable cost for a "free" service, but I prefer FTP to a site that I own.

Now that Adobe has put up their free version of Photoshop, you might want to start reading the "Terms of Service" for such too-good-to-be-true offers:

<http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9906064-7.html?tag=newsmap>

Now that they've been caught, Adobe is making changes, but here's an example of what the early adopters so blithely signed away:

Adobe does not claim ownership of Your Content. However, with respect to Your Content that you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Adobe a worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content and to incorporate such Content into other Materials or works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

In other words, Adobe reserved the right to do whatever the hell they want -- with your writing, art, photos, etc. For free. Forever.

At very least, it could be argued that you've given away first serial rights, if not worldwide first publication.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Re: Beware of freebies

Whoops; forgot a line.

As writers, you might find my worries odd. However, I'm now going through the ToS portion of various free & online services that create PDF files, & I'm suspicious of my licensed copy of Acrobat, which we use to publish books.

Joe Zeff

This is why I use PrimoPDF. It's a Windows print driver that produces PDF files that you can either print out or save to disk. Free, and no strings attached.

Gregory White

he's referring to Photoshop, Joe (not the PDF maker) .... the one you can alter pics in (web design too).

jayce

Writers Net Terms of Service contain similar language about perpetual nonexclusive rights to whatever is posted here.

FWIW.

Gregory White

yikes

Patrick Edwards

See, now that's why I've only posted my absolute worst work here.

Was that believable?

M. Deschanel

Well, then what does "Adobe does not claim ownership of Your Content." mean, at all?

It's amazing how language can be twisted: they say one thing then enumerate every conceivable way they claim rights to get around what they just said.

Here's the good part: like newbies afraid that agents or other writers will "steal their idea", it's just as astronomically far-fetched that some genius will create some brilliant imagery, PURPOSEFULLY UPLOAD IT TO ADOBE's SITE, click the agreement, and lose out like Siegel & Shuster when they sold Superman to DC Comics for $160.

A.L. Sirois

You know, when I read stuff like this, I start wishing I was just a factory worker. *sigh*