HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stephanie Kraner

"Wow" in fantasy?

I've been told before that when you use "wow" in a fantasy story it completely turns people off. I never really thought about it before, but do you think it's wise to keep the "wow"s out of fantasy, or...?

And I'm talking about in dialogue, by the way.

Arden Wolfe

Re: "Wow" in fantasy?

And who told you this?

Danyelle --

It would depend on the context and how often it was used. I'm fussy about language as it is. I hate reading anything that reminds me of how middle-schoolers talk in the halls. Stereotypical ones, at least. If it fits in with your story, and works for you, I would go with it.

Stephanie Kraner

No one with particular authority. Just a friend who's really into fantasy and read something I wrote.

Sail Away

I agree with Danyelle. If you are writing contemporary or urban fantasy, I don't see much of an issue. If you are writing high epic sword and sorcery stuff then "wow" might become a credibility issue.

Anything that is uniquely ideomatic should be carefully evaluated to determine if it fits into your created world. Same goes for modern colloquiolisms and cliches.

Like Danyelle said: "If it fits in with your story, and works for you, I would go with it."

-SA

Sail Away

Stephanie,
    If you post a short excerpt, we might be able to give you a more direct answer.

-SA

Arden Wolfe

No, 'wow' is not inappropriate.

As Danyelle said, if it fits the dialogue of the character and the audience you are going for, do it.

Also, if the 'voice' and situation of the novel dictates such, do it.

But don't kill your friend. At least he or she is giving you honest feedback.

Wolfe

Cathy C

Yeah, I have no problem with the word, so long as it's in context with the reality. [shrug]

Joe Zeff

If your story has to do with an every-day person sucked into a fantasy world, "wow!" would be very appropriate, although you should try to have less and less of it as the character adapts to the new environment. On the flip side, a fantasy character drawn into our world would be having a completely different set of "wow moments."

In something like LOTR, they should be very rare, at most, such as the first sight of Lothlorien, or possibly, Minas Tirath. Keep them for moments when the speaker is seeing something wonderful that they've heard of but never seen. Think of a child's first view of Disneyland...

Stephanie Kraner

Thanks everyone!