HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    June Casagrande

Re: Possessive names that end in s

AP omits the possessive s for proper names. It keeps it for generic nouns, like boss. (With some exceptions, of course.)

Re the Brad and Jen stuff: If the possession is shared, the possessive s is shared. That's why it's Brad and Jen's divorce but Brad's and Jen's cars.

Diane Rogers

Thanks, everyone. June, I KNEW I wasn't nuts, but after this discussion, I COULD be. Wow, what a convoluted MESS of rules. Consistencey will be my key from now on, whether I LIKE the s's or not.

eilidh >>>

uh huh! Thank you, June. Brad and Jen's divorce. Got it.

The rest... well... I think I settle on consistency and next time I will NOT choose a character's name like Angus.

E.

Diane Rogers

I hear ya. I think three of the four names in my book ended in S. Of course, most of them were historical, so I really didn't have a choice. But if I have a choice...

NO MORE SSSSSS's

June Casagrande

To me, this is liberating.

It means that nobody expects us to know it all. So we can write all we want about Agnes and Thomas and Euripides and not worry about it.

As an editor, I never hold it against a writer for not knowing what's "right." How can I hold it against someone else when I have to look it up myself?

Debbi Voisey

Steven Labri said: Isn't it the look we are going for?

Well, IMO, no! We are going for how it sounds when you read it. Jesus' seat does not *sound* right. The expression is Jesus's seat, (sounding like Jesuses seat).

How it sounds when you say it is how you write it down. Simple.

Debbi Voisey

Steven Labri

The pronunciation of "Jesus' seat" and "Jesus's seat" are the same.

Barbara KE

Well, I learned something today. I always just used the apostrophe also (i.e. Thomas' seat). But I thought the other way was wrong.

Oh well - now I'd better re-read my manuscript.

June Casagrande

Steven:

I don't suppose you remember where you heard that, do you? Students and readers are always asking me for sources on how to pronounce these possessives and dictionaries aren't very helpful in this matter.

Re "what we're going for": Writers are sometimes asked by editors to weigh in on certain style matters, but in most cases, the writer has no say in that decision. There's no reason for us (writers) to sweat it at all.

In my mind, the goal of the writer is to serve up quality information or storytelling while at the same time demonstrating to editors that they know their craft as well as most pros. And since a pro could just as easily turn in a manuscript that mentions "Agnes' coat" as one that mentions "Agnes's coat," we can instead focus on more important issues, like storytelling, information and the style/grammar matters that DO separate the pros from the hacks (like danglers, unclear antecdents, errant and incorrect "whoms" and certain brands of apostrophe abuse).

Steven Labri

Now, now June. You're the Grammar Queen! ;-)

Seriously, I don't recall where I read or heard (I am ancient you know). Personally, I use the s' as I think it appears less confusing. The name of my latest character is Lucas and you can be sure I did not use Lucas's. In truth, I used Lucas' only once, and rearranged the remaining sentences avoiding apostrophes. I'd rather avoid the s' or the s's all together.