HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Corey Griffith

GRRR! I hate this! Someone give me some advice!

Okay, here's the deal. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I have the talent inside me to be a published author. Im good enough to make a living doing it. I just KNOW it. It's something I love to do, and I've always done it, as far back as I care to remember. Short stories here and there. Poems. You know.

But of course to be successul at it, you have to have actually finished something.

What I mean is, I've decided to write my first novel, and although the storyline is sound (I hope), and the characters strong (I hope), it is just an incredible chore to sit and write it.

It's not so much that I haven't got the entire story fleshed out completely, as in "this happens, then this, then this, then this, and so on" so that every scene is worked out in my head, the basic "bones" of the story ARE.

And I know that it's my job as a writer to put the flesh around those bones and create, ultimately, the finished project.

(God I hope Im articulating this propersly)

And to do that, of course, I need to just sit and the damned laptop, adn write it down! Get the fingers on the keyboard and WRITE!

But here's the rub.

I dont WANT to write every day. In fact, I dont want to write most days.

But not because I dont love writing, I do!

But, I dont want to write anything, unless I know that when I do, what comes out will be nothing less than brilliant! I wait for the muse to tell me that it's time to write. Then and only then, do I write.

Now, I know, I know. I've heard everyone tell me:

"If you want to be a writer, you need to read. And you need to WRITE"

Every Day.

So there's my dilemma.

I want to make a living doing this thing I love, but I only want to do this thing I love when Im inspired, because Im afraid that on the days that I sit and force myself to write uninspired(and I do from time to time) that it'll just be absolute crap and not worth reading, and I can't bear to do that.

What do I do?

Am I holding myself to too high a standard? Should I not be so damned worried about what's readable in my opinion, and just exercise the damned creative muscle every day, regardless of the quality of what comes out?

What if I sit down to write, but I can't think of anything to write? What if I dont know where to go next in my story?

I dont have a lick, not one IOTA of formal writing education. I've never taken a writing class.

Im sorry to rant so much and vent like this, but Im really needing help.

I love to write. And my novel, once written, will be really good! I believe in my talent!

But damn! It's hard work! And Im just afraid that if I write when Im not inspired, it'll be crap.

Im sorry for the rambling, but please, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Keith .

Re: GRRR! I hate this! Someone give me some advice!

JMO
    Writing for money is a business, and very few actually make a living at it. It is also hard work requiring gobs of discipline. You don't sound ready for any of this, so write for pleasure. Write for yourself. Finish your ms and go from there.

BTW, the first draft always sucks. Someone said there is no such thing as a great writer, only great re-writers. True dat. Luck.
    km

jayce

I love to write.

You said it five times.

I don't want to write.

Three times.

My opinion: You don't have a jackass's clue of who or what you are inside. Grow up and sober up. And by the way, you're not afraid, you're merely lazy.

gulliver h

sorry, but what a load of crap.

writer's write.

(oh, and btw, everyone writes well in their HEAD. And lots think they can write. You aren't breaking new ground here.)

The interim step is seeing if you're right and there's only one way to do that. (writer's also rewrite. Constantly. Interminably. It's what make them writers who succeed.)

Jeanne Gassman

*wow* I'm speechless. This is either the most honest post or the most incredibly juvenile and immature post I think I've ever seen from a writer wannabe.

Okay, how do I say this without sounding totally sarcastic?

You say you love writing...but you don't want to write. You just want your golden words to fall perfectly formed onto the page--and only when you feel like sharing them with the common folk. The rest of the time these beautiful words will remain in your mind, hidden from the world. You know you're really talented and destined to make a living at writing, but...you don't want to work at it. You just want someone to recognize that talent and pay you for it because...??

Mmm. Going back to the first statement. Yes, you love writing. You just don't love it enough to actually write.

I guess it's a lot like the way I love having a clean house. I love the idea of spotless floors, clean counters, and everything in its place. I just don't love it enough to pick up a mop and begin.

Jeanne

Mark Phillips

Guess what? You aren't James Joyce. By that I mean, for most of us, writing is work. Hard work. It's reading, it's writing, it's re-writing every day. That means everyday. I write everyday. The only time I'm not writing is when I finish a novel. When that happens I take a break of a couple weeks or so and then I move on to what's next. That's usually a short story.

Geniuses like Joyce and Faulkner, they could write whenever they wanted. They didn't have to follow rules. They were so brilliant that they just made their own rules. Truly brilliant writers like those two our born not made. No ammount of learning that anyone does here will ever make them like Joyce or Faulkner. So as I said, for the rest of us it's work. Constant work to try and get as close as you can to that type of brilliance.

In short, if you don't want to work at writing, you'll never be any good at it.

Bran Down

I too love to write. I finished my first novel over 20 years ago. It was awful.

I left writing alone for a while after that. Instead I read.

I read for about a decade.

Now I am back to writing but I have no illusions about getting published. Though I do know (beause editors have told me) that I can put words together well.

I have to say that the satisfaction of completing a story - be is short or long - is sufficient for me. Sure I still send out query letters. But my satisfaction comes from competing my stories to the point where I don't want to change a word.

Write for the sake of writing, not money.

David Baker

Don't worry about it. Write when you want to and it will come. With any luck you will end up with a brilliant book just like mine www.itsmawdsley.comJust do it!

JL Riffe

Well, if you are going to make it...

You are going to have to learn to write when you love it and when you'd rather be off having a root canal. Otherwise, no excuses.

Lots of people have great writers locked up inside. The ones who make it are the ones who summon up the discipline to achieve thier goals. This holds true for all endeavors in life. Things don't get done by wishfull thinking alone...

nom de plume

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d@mn.