HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    eilidh >>>

Re: To Theme or not to Theme

Could someone quickly define THEME for me? I think I know what it is but better, I thought I knew. Now I am a bit confused.

nom de plume

"Could someone quickly define THEME for me? I think I know what it is but better, I thought I knew. Now I am a bit confused."

Step 1: log on to the internet
    Step 2: go to Google or other search engine
    Step 3: type in "Theme"
    Step 4: evaluate numerous search results for usefulness. (the first three out of four sites suggested by Google seemed right on the mark).

You said you've a PhD in Chemistry. How did you conduct research for your thesis?

Beautiful Loser

nom, that's exactly what I did and why I posted the link above. If one can't discern what "theme" is, then maybe one should consider another profession. ;-D

eilidh >>>

Nom, feel free to ignore me.

I did not call anybody names. You may confuse me with somebody else who at the same time and place called people trolls. But that was not me.

Theme: what confused me is how strong you think a theme should be and whether it should be written out or not.

Jeanne Gassman

eilidh,

Wikipedia has some pretty decent definitions of theme:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme>

Otto,
    Theme is derived from the story, not the other way around. If you try to force your story to fit the constraints of a pre-designed theme, your characters will become mindless puppets moving across a stage. The author's presence becomes intrusive, thus destroying the illusion of the fictional world.

Some thoughts on how theme and story should work:
    <http://www.learner.org/interactives/literature/read/theme1.html>

Jeanne

eilidh >>>

Thank you Beautiful and Jeanne for your help.

Beautiful Loser

You're welcome, eilidh. I've kept a copy for my own use. ;-D

Beautiful Loser

Here's a link which might be beneficial to creative nonfiction writers:

<http://www.creativenonfiction.org/thejournal/whatiscnf.htm>

Simon Says

I have to say Jeanne that I don't necessarily agree with you.

I mean I agree that you shouldn't "force your story" to fit your theme, but you should develop and shape your story in a way that explores it.

For instance you could have the same basic premise - of boy meets girl, gets girl, loses girl.

But if your theme is in the vein of "love is a many splendored thing" your story will unfold and play itself out differently than if your your theme is "love stinks." And the plot (and character) choices you make will and should be influenced by what you are trying to say about the nature of love.

As for character - bad writers, or those who don't have a solid grasp of the craft of story will wind up writing mindless puppets moving across a stage or worse still characters pontificating and opining when they try to get their theme out through character. But those who understand the craft can use theme to help create and shape multi dimensional characters and to develop their character arc.

Don't take my word for it, read some Shakespeare or Dickens or Hemingway or......

Simon

Beautiful Loser

Here's one for Simon:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKcY_DNF8aY>