HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Kitty Foyle

Re: We should be reminded

Epy,

FYI I'm posting an earlier link to show Hamish "cracking the whip" (back in the days when he was still here).

When JG first joined WN, he -- like so many of us who learn things the hard way -- quoted big chunks of material. Yes, we did say who wrote them initially, but so what?

Each of his posts in this particular thread took up a whole page (practically). Hamish deleted all but a sentence or two from the articles (as you can see).

His "reminder" is at the bottom of some of the posts.

<http://www.writers.net/forum/read.php?f=4&i=132024&t=132009>

*_*

Otto Rabe

Thats good stuff Epy - thanks. Like water to the learning writer stuck in the Sahara of inexperience.

Thorp Kozak

Everything You Need to Know About Writing Successfully was taken from an article written by Stephen King for the 1990 edition of The Writer's handbook, a copyrighted work.

The quote taken by Epy constitutes more than <u>half</u> of the original article.

Just mentioning King as the author of the piece isn't enough. You need permission from the copyright holder to reproduce something of this length.

TK

Mark Phillips

I personally think that using reference tools is something that should be saved for the editing process but some people compose in differnt ways so I can accept going either way on that one.
    And as an aside, King has admitted to using a computer for a lot of his stuff now, but he has written several books, including recent ones, with a pen.

Mark

Epy Stolean

Kitty – Thanks, but I will take my chances. You are a kind soul to care.

Thorp – It was 1988. Get your facts straight. And I suppose you are a lawyer as well?

Listen folks – If WN has an issue with this, they can contact me or delete this post. If anyone else has an issue with this, I really don’t care.

Liza B.

"For that matter, all that stuff about what quality of paper is equally obsolete; who composes with a typewriter anymore? I doubt he does, that's for sure!"

Actually, there are many successful writers who still prefer to hammer out early drafts on a typewriter and/or longhand.

Thorp Kozak

Thorp – It was 1988. Get your facts straight.

I did. I have the 1990 edition sitting next to me. That it also appeared in 1988 does not mean that I was wrong about it being published in the 1990 edition.

And I suppose you are a lawyer as well?

This is the classic ad hominem fallacy. You want to draw attention away from the fact that you reproduced more than half of the original article, without permission, by questioning my credentials. Won't work.

If, on the other hand, you want to prove that it is fine to do what you did, then please do so.

If anyone else has an issue with this, I really don’t care

I know, but you should.

TK

Epy Stolean

***Yawn***

Joe Zeff

Epy, I don't know about anybody else here, but I always edit on screen. If you want, I can check with some of the Big Name Pro Authors I know and find out how they do it. Personally, I think that in this day and age, anybody who can't edit on-screen doesn't understand computers and needs to get out of the Second Millennium. I also consider printing out early drafts a waste of time, money and material, and see no reason to make every change twice. (Once on the dead-tree format and then again on the permanent, electronic form.)

I have no trouble stopping to correct a typo as I go, because OpenOffice flags them and I find it distracting, unless I know it's spelled right and just not in the program's dictionary. Sometimes, I'll keep Firefox open to dictionary.com to check things and don't have any trouble keeping my concentration; if nothing else, it gives me time to think about what happens next while I'm checking. Of course, I know how to multi-task, and it might be different for those of you who can't.

nom de plume

ES wrote (in several posts):
    "As mentioned earlier, what law school did you attend?"

Instead of citing reliable sources to justify your posting copyrighted material at length you offer the above whimper in defense. Just further proof we're not dealing with a great legal mind here.

Have fun, Epy. I'm out of here as I didn't sign up for kindergarten duty.