Beautiful Loser

Re: plenty of handy examples

ME ME ME ME

(I just want to get in the last word.)

TK

nom de plume

TK wrote:

"I'm glad that some people took copyrights seriously enough to take her to task for it."

Yes, even if it earned us the lofty title of "pompous, hypocritical idiot" by Stolean, Phillips et al.

Harley summed up this dreadful thread quite nicely. It wasn't the original mistake but the refusal to admit a mistake and to apologize that rankled some of us.

Thorp Kozak

ME ME ME ME

(I just want to get in the last word.)

TK

I take it this was aimed at me, BL? .

Mark and I are having a discussion. You might notice that he has been asking me questions, in a civil manner, and I have been replying to them, also civilly.

Sorry if that doesn't live down to your expectations, but our discussion is not about having the last word. It's about copyrights.

TK

Mark Phillips

Look, I'm still pretty new here so I'll apologize for my ignorance right off.

If this (copyright violation) has been a big problem in the past, then I guess I can understand a little of the animosity in the first few responses that mentioned that this was copyright infringement.
    Note that these were before Epy made any comment back.
    However, I think a more reasoned approach would have been better. Something like: Just so you know Epy, you can't really do this legally, etc..
    Whether intended or not, your responses baited her into defending herself.
    Her refusal to admit her mistake did fuel the argument, but we could have just as easily ignored her. It seems that, based on your responses, you don't think much of her knowledge on this subject, so why try to debate her on it? It's like getting into a political debate with a five year old.

Mark

nom de plume

Mark, it's fine. I suggest Thorpe close this thread and let it RIP. We could expedite the burial by posting many new threads So, if you've more issues/ideas/thoughts about anything discussed here, start a new thread.

The big problem I have with this site is that no one manages it. There are no stickies with dos and don'ts (guidelines for posting excerpts, rules what can be posted and what cannot).

A moderator would have closed this thread a long time ago. Since we don't have one, this is what happens: A few people make comments at around the same time, this invites responses, some people feel strongly about something, some people feel strongly about people feeling strongly about this, people defend themselves against people feeling strongly about their feeling strongly about the original premise, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Thorp Kozak

I suggest Thorpe close this thread

I hereby declare that this fracking thread is officially closed!

- Bangs the gavel -

TK

Mya Bell

If this were the kind of forum where a moderator closed threads, I probably wouldn't be here.

It's nice to have *one* public writing forum on the Internet where we have the opportunity to learn, to self-correct, and to exercise judgment, without authoritarian oversight.

--- Mya Bell

Thorp Kozak

It's nice to have *one* public writing forum on the Internet where we have the opportunity to learn, to self-correct, and to exercise judgment, without authoritarian oversight

I agree with you 100%, Mya.

TK

Epy Stolean

[b]It's nice to have *one* public writing forum on the Internet where we have the opportunity to learn, to self-correct, and to exercise judgment, without authoritarian oversight>/b>

This will never happen until all of you can learn to discuss without name calling. There are some wonderful people here, and some real talent. Unfortunately, very few visited this post. I have discovered, not only on this site but others, if you don't fall into the clog of what is acceptable, the forum will come after you with pitch fork and torches. This site is full of petty little minds. Understand, I don't blame you for defending copyright. However the attack was uncalled for. All I asked for was "If you would like to logically discuss the post, I don't mind. If you would like to attack, please take your words elsewhere." A few wanted to discuss the article, other wanted to throw rocks. No one wanted to discuss copyright law at an educated level. Think about it. The first accusation was plagiarism. Not until David Thompson came along did anyone even notice that as they were to hellbent to provide their educated opinion.

Did anyone bother to discuss this with Stephen King. My guess is no. Well, I did. I am sure you are curious as to what was said.

Be curious and be well.

Epy Stolean

Sorry about the all bold. I would give a thousand dollars for an edit button.

It's nice to have *one* public writing forum on the Internet where we have the opportunity to learn, to self-correct, and to exercise judgment, without authoritarian oversight

This will never happen until all of you can learn to discuss without name calling. There are some wonderful people here, and some real talent. Unfortunately, very few visited this post. I have discovered, not only on this site but others, if you don't fall into the clog of what is acceptable, the forum will come after you with pitch fork and torches. This site is full of petty little minds. Understand, I don't blame you for defending copyright. However the attack was uncalled for. All I asked for was "If you would like to logically discuss the post, I don't mind. If you would like to attack, please take your words elsewhere." A few wanted to discuss the article, other wanted to throw rocks. No one wanted to discuss copyright law at an educated level. Think about it. The first accusation was plagiarism. Not until David Thompson came along did anyone even notice that as they were to hellbent to provide their educated opinion.

Did anyone bother to discuss this with Stephen King. My guess is no. Well, I did. I am sure you are curious as to what was said.

Be curious and be well.