Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Mya Bell

Re: Can you help me with this sentence?

<http://m-w.com/dictionary/camaraderie>

Beautiful Loser

Both spellings comradery/comraderie are acceptable, depending upon other factors in your writings.

If I've learned anything from the people at writers.net, it's the fact that they are people. Learn to treat each other with mutual respect, on or off the internet, and take everything with a grain of salt. Or fiber if you think you need it.;-D

Beautiful Loser

<http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/comradery>

steak Bake

Just for clarification I do know how to spell "insulting" but am a fast and lousy typist at times

Beautiful Loser

Sometimes I consider an insult a compliment. Especially from a writer's point of view. If another writer's opinion is an insult, isn't it also a reflection that something is wrong with the writing? If a writer is having problems or troubles with grammar, spelling, or sentencing structure, don't you think the responsibility lies in the writer's hands? When you come here asking for help, take what you can get and learn from it.

Simon Says

Steak

Whether you took the comment as insult or found it bitchy is NOT the issue.

You'll get all kinds of feedback here communicated in all kinds of styles

gentle, logical, tough, encouraging, blunt, rude, obnoxious, totally unhelpful - you get the idea.

Just apply what resonates ignore what doesn't and silently curse those who rub you the wrong way rather than berating them for providing feedback in a way that you don't like.

Telling people you're insulted or that they're rude, serves no purpose and makes you seem like an amateur with thin skin.

Put your energy into fixing that putrid sentence and move on.

steak Bake

Moving on with my "thin skin" but I stand by my statement that these uncivil tones are totally unneccessary. If we never needed assistance with grammar or anything else, why does this board even exist?

Kitty Foyle

I disagree with what Simon Says here: and silently curse those who rub you the wrong way...

Never do that, steak. Thoughts are powerful suckers, and whatever you put out there -- especially negative "curses" -- will return to you Big Time. The ol' what goes around, comes around & all that.

It's a waste of time to dwell on what you perceive as crappy stuff. Just take a deep breath and Don't Worry, Be Happy.

*_*

Beautiful Loser

This board is just a figment of your imagination. ;-D The people on the other end do not exist. So much for my half-witted sense of humor, but seriously, move on already.

And I agree with Simon and Kitty to a certain extent. Now, folks, try this: breath deeply.

Ahhhhhhhh! much better.

Thorp Kozak

Hi, Steak,

>"Led by one tormented with flashbacks of his creators, the beings abandon their brutal methods in favor of comradery"<

The first thing that jumps out at me is you're mixing tenses: The first part is in the past tense: "Led." The second is in the present tense: "abandon." You could correct that by writing:

Present tense: "Having a leader who is tormented with flashbacks of his creators, the beings abandon their brutal methods in favor of comradery."

or

Past tense: "Led by one tormented with flashbacks of his creators, the beings abandoned their brutal methods in favor of comradery."

Also, you didn't end your sentence with a period.

If I knew the context for the sentence I might be able to suggest a clearer alternative.

TK