HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wonky

Old woman's voice?

How would you describe the voice of an old woman? I have a character who I won't physically describe as and old lady, but I want to avoid saying "she sounded like an little old lady" or "grandma voice."

Clayton Lindemuth

Re: Old woman's voice?

sandpaper; gravel; phlegm; like a steaming teapot; an old, worn record; a rusted hinge...

Wonky

Good idea, comparing her voice to something old. My character is friendly, though, and I think things like rusted hinge sound negative. So... I need to think of something old and NICE!

Granny Ten

As an old woman, I am insulted. We talk like everybody else, just some of us are not up to date on things. We use old terms whose meanings have changed. If we're really old, I'm not yet, we might forget things, get our times confused, was it yesterday or 40 years ago? You should show she is old by what she says, not the sound of her voice. Definitely, do not use "grandma voice". Every Grandma is different.

Beautiful Loser

Granny Ten is right. Describe how old she is by what she says, not solely by what you think her voice might sound like.
    i.e. Some elderly ladies [and gentlemen] are very soft spoken. You could describe that voice as quiet or a whisper. Or, you could use examples of singers [alto, tenor, etc.] voices.

Kitty Foyle

I visited my aunt just a month before she died at 97. She had a lilting, beautiful voice all her life, and I was happy to see that she still had it.

(She also never smoked, which would have cranked it down an octave or two...yuck!)

The manner in which your character speaks might suffice: hesitant, weak, soft...

Let's not throw all "old" people into the same barrel!

*_*

Kitty Foyle

And speaking of "grandma voice," don't you know that gals as young as 40 are grandmothers these days?

Sheese, Wonky!

*_*

Beautiful Loser

Yeah, Wonky. I was almost a grandma once, and my voice doesn't sound like a crackling teapot, rusty hinge, sandpaper or gravel. My voice echoes that of a lovely song bird. ;-D

Wonky

Alright sheesh!

Basically this guy was critting something I'd written and he said I needed to say what the character's voice sounded like. Obviously it's not necessary.

JL Riffe

You could say:

This gal had the kind of voice you could only get from smoking unfiltered camels and slinging drinks in a Vegas night club for 25 years. To listen to her you couldn't help but think "Phyllis Diller" on a week long bender. To see her, well you just know that she's just someone's nanna.