HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Patrick Edwards

Re: the point

the point is...if you can immediately identify long-standing literature, your writing is probably more refined than the next Joe.

Agreed...to a point. Just because you can identify certain authors/material does not mean you're a better writer than someone who can't. Just because someone can name every song/singer in history does not mean that person can become a Grammy winner...nor does it guarantee a good karaoke career.

If you rip it to shreds, then your own writing probably needs some work. There's the lesson in it to grow as a writer.

I disagree with this. As have been proven on this board time and time again, many of the works from yesteryear (or now) are not "grammatically-mastered" or even "well-written"--I'm sure there's a difference somewhere between the two of those phrases We have been <U>told</U> certain pieces are masterpieces; thus, we began to believe it--whether we've read it or not.

It's a tough issue....

Patrick Edwards

Re: the point

Rogue, we cross-posted. That being said, I feel what you gots to say.

nom de plume

There is NO point

Greg White wrote:

"Many take things way too seriously. Describing these occasional pranks as, adlibbing, "insult to my intelligence" -- "waste of time" "slap in the face"....

Lighten up."

And you should take things more seriously. Posting someone's work without identifying it or without permission is a faux pas, to say the least. BTW, there was a word misspelled in the excerpt from Ms. Hoffman's novel. I think that was your doing, not hers. Another disservice to Ms. Hoffman.

Just because one can get away with posting these occasional "pranks" without fear of reprisals, does not make the practice ethical. Nowadays, purse snatching and run-of-the mill robberies go unpunished, too; the ethical citizen will refrain from engaging in such activities nonetheless.

Kitty Foyle

Re: There is NO point

For awhile there Hamish used to give us the wet noodle lash if we posted copywritten material (depending on the length), especially if we didn't identify the source.

For awhile there, at least. Or did I dream this?

*_*

Kitty Foyle

Oops...let's make that "copyrighted."

*_*

the cat came back

I have never seen so many drama queens and their enablers in one place.

Ever.

Tattler

Good. Then perhaps you won't be back.

the cat came back

No, I will be one of the few who devotes almost all of his energies towards writing, critting, and so on.

But really, a lot of energy is being wasted here, and it looks pretty silly to the newbie.

Had to say it because it looks like most of the folks on this thread are too caught up in their own bull**** to see it.

Posting stuff that isn't theirs to make some point or other, threatening others with expulsion which is not in their power, reveling the role of board A-hole, getting into pissing contests -- pity the urine is actually gasoline for the fire...

Go back to your writing!

Rogue Mutt

I never waste any writing time here. Just work time. ;-)