HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Stacy McCune

Query letter for short story help

I'm getting ready to submite a short story to a magazine and the magazine wants a query letter first. So i did some searching and couldn't find nothing on query letters for short stories and for new writers. So i found a "how to" and used that.

I don't think I did it right. Can someone take a look at it and let me know what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

gulliver h

Re: Query letter for short story help

couldn't find nothing? Submite. You're kidding, right? Any idea how impossibly hard it is to publish work in lit. mags? Even when you can spell?

Yikes, honey. Are you really sure you want to do that?

Anthony Ravenscroft

no query

Unless specifically demanded in their guidelines, or when working in articles, you don't query for a story. You send the story.

In fact (in the Olden Days of pulps at least) it wasn't unusual that your story would pass muster, get a once-over, be set for the next issue, & be off the newsstands before you heard from the publisher.

gulliver h

Re: no query

actually, a short cover letter is appropriate. Salutation, name of story, credentials, thanks. No more, no less.

Ord Retniap

Honestly gulliver, you're too harsh. I can't find nothing wrong with submiteing a question like this.

john palmer

Troll. Goblin. Pollywog?